The claims may be correct

Richard:

I switched to cellulose for my DE filter a couple of years ago, and then my former pool guy switched back to DE because he says DE works better. After I let him go (long story), I cleaned out the filter grids and filter, and used the Pool Time cellulose from Home Depot. According to instructions, you use much less of this than DE, so I followed their instructions. I noticed that pressure runs about the same as with DE. This may be due to the reduced amount of cellulose required, according to the directions. In any event, I find this stuff backwashes just fine and cleaning is no bigger pain than with DE. This stuff cleans better than DE, by about a factor of 2 because of its smaller porosity (2 micron vs. 4-5 for DE):

http://aquamagazine.com/content/post/Po ... on-DE.aspx

After a filter cleaning, the pressure on the DE filter is around 15-17 PSI. I usually backwash or do a complete filter grid cleanup when the filter pressure gets up to 25 PSI. This depends on the weather and amount of debris, but I usually do a complete clean about every 4-6 months and a backwash about once every six weeks. When I do only a backwash, I add about 6 cups of the cellulose which returns the pressure to around 17 psi.

The difference in water quality is pretty noticeable. First, it is very clear, esp. at night when the light is on. With DE, there were always irridescent particles floating near the light. I can't really detect those with cellulose. Also, I've seen an oily sheen on the water when the kids go into the pool with oily sun-block, but that doesn't seem to occur anymore with the cellulose. So, I'm convinced it's a better way to go, and it's not going to leave DE in the part of the yard where the backflush water drains.

One comment about backwashing that may be important. When I backwash, I usually do this with several cycles of backwash vs. normal flow. I find that doing so seems to eliminate a more significant fraction of filter media than just running the backwash for a longer period of time. This is borne out by the observation of "dirty backwash" vs. clear water. If I run the backwash for a couple of minutes, the water runs clear after about a minute. If I cycle this, I find that I can get better release of residual cellulose out of the filter based on seeing new dirty backwash on each cycle. Also, when I do a complete cleanup, I notice that this type of backwash protocol leaves the grids almost completely void of filter media. This significantly reduces the number of times I need to do a complete filter breakdown each year.

I use PuriFiber in my cart filter. Absolutely love it and have never had my pressure fly up. I bought a 25# bag of it off their website last year and if I remember correctly it was about $53 including shipping. Much cheaper than the BioGuard Sparkle Up which is about $28 for a 2.5 pound jug!

Well, my pool definitely does sparkle now that I no longer am being pool stored. I tried it on the off chance that it would help clear the cloudy water because of being PS'd. Joined TFP, realized why I had cloudy water and went to work on it. I switched from a DE filter to cart and never looked back. Love my cart filter. I really like the PuriFiber and usually add it after all the cotton trees around here are done snowing into the pool. I've had very good luck with it and would recommend it to anyone with a cart filter. It's suppossed to help with sand filters also but I never have used a sand filter. I use the amount for "moderate" bather load stated on the bag and could probably use a bit less. This 25# bag is going to last me awhile!

An update.

The pressure slowly rose all season and seemed to be settled right at the 'backflush now' pressure for several weeks. The water's too cold to swim in, and I'm too cheap to heat it. I pretty much ignored things for a couple weeks, and I decided to vacuum the other day and WOW! Pressure had jumped about 5 psi and flow had diminished to almost nothing in about two weeks time.

Moral of the story: when it hits backwash pressure, backwash.

I'm still happy with it because I can backwash onto the front lawn and the grass seems to thrive on it.

My experience has been about the same as Richard's. I've alternated between DE and fiber (different brands - depending on the pool store I'm at) since 2011 and have found that the fiber leaves the water clearer and I have to backwash less. BUT, it took me a while to perfect my method.

I used to backwash and then replace, but I found that it quickly returned to high pressures, within weeks - or a few days with my worse experience. After that, I switched back to DE but I decided to try again - I really wanted not to have to deal with DE with the cloud of unhealthy dust and the messy backwash. So this time I sprayed my filters and applied the fiber - then went months without backwashing. Then the pressure started building and flow decreased, and like Richard states, it happens quickly so there really is no putting off a backwash. After that backwash I then opened my filter and found that most the fiber was still on the cartridges. I left the cartridges in place and sprayed with a hose, comes of real nice. It does get on everything else, but it gives me a reason to spay off all the equipment and the pad once in a while.

Now my routine is not even to backwash, I just open up my filter and spray the cartridges in place and reapply the fiber. Like most posters have indicated, I too use less than is called for on the bag for my size of filter. I go for about 2/3 to 3/4 of the recommendation and I use about one bag per year or so. My pressures are about the same as it is for DE.

I have been using this since i bought the house (Oct 2009) and have never used DE. I am very satisfied with it, however i do have to take my filter apart in order to clean it as backwashing and rinsing will not do the job. However I do have a lot of trees in my yard and a lot of debris in the pool on a daily basis.

I hope it's ok to post this here, given this thread is a few months old, but it looks like it's kept updated.

Switching to Cellulose is something I'm very interested in. I backwash out into the woods I have behind my pool (my property), but I'm not crazy about having dried pool DE just hanging around there. From what I can tell, the three big sources of cellulose is Fiberclear, Purifiber, and BioGuard Ekoclean.

Richard, have you ever tried the others? Are they all the same if they are 100% cellulose and it doesn't even matter? If I should start my own thread, to get some questions answered, I can do that.

Thanks.

I hope it's ok to post this here, given this thread is a few months old, but it looks like it's kept updated.

Switching to Cellulose is something I'm very interested in. I backwash out into the woods I have behind my pool (my property), but I'm not crazy about having dried pool DE just hanging around there. From what I can tell, the three big sources of cellulose is Fiberclear, Purifiber, and BioGuard Ekoclean.

Richard, have you ever tried the others? Are they all the same if they are 100% cellulose and it doesn't even matter? If I should start my own thread, to get some questions answered, I can do that.

Thanks.
I know I've used two different ones; the included scoops were different. Can't recall what they were. The looked the same and they both worked fine. I think you're overthinking things.

Sounds like it then. I'm a bit nervous to pull my filter apart for the first time to clean out the DE, but I would like to switch. Someone posted a nice tutorial on my filter, for cleaning, so at least I have that to follow. Thanks!

P.S. I have a habit of over thinking a lot of things! LOL.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hello all. This is a great thread. At the recommendation of our pool store we cleaned the grids and the filter to switch to bioguard ekoclean. The pump has to be de free. I think we did everything right but my pressure is through the roof. 30 PSI is about 10 to 12 over. The grids are new everything else checks out. What should I do? Clean everything again and try? Any help would be awesome.

Hello all. This is a great thread. At the recommendation of our pool store we cleaned the grids and the filter to switch to bioguard ekoclean. The pump has to be de free. I think we did everything right but my pressure is through the roof. 30 PSI is about 10 to 12 over. The grids are new everything else checks out. What should I do? Clean everything again and try? Any help would be awesome.
I can only think of two things:
1) You added as much cellulose as DE and it's overloaded. That would raise the pressure sky high right away.
2) It started out normal and rose to the high pressure a day or two later. This would indicate things were fine, but now the filter has strained out so much tiny stuff that it's already ready for its first backwash.

Either way, the solution is a backwash and recharge.

So I back washed 5 or 6 times and then popped the lid off and hosed everything off really good. The ekoclean called for 15 cups. I put 9 in and my pressure is perfect and it has been running great for 24 hours which hasn't happened in weeks. Can you put too little in? I was concerned that I may not have put enough in but all signs look good??

So I back washed 5 or 6 times and then popped the lid off and hosed everything off really good. The ekoclean called for 15 cups. I put 9 in and my pressure is perfect and it has been running great for 24 hours which hasn't happened in weeks. Can you put too little in? I was concerned that I may not have put enough in but all signs look good??
Yes, you can put in too little. It just depends on the filter size. I can;t offer any advice on that because you haven't filled out your signature. How to do that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.