Test Log - My pool test numbers - newbie to TFP methods

TFP_wanna_be

Bronze Supporter
May 26, 2010
Orlando, FL
I'm new to keeping the pool clean, clear, and healthy. In fact, I just had my pool resurfaced to help get me back in the swing of things the TFP way! I plan to 'dive-in' and document my water testing and seek guidence from the pros to get me dialed in.

I've been distracted the last week or so and not tested the water... So here goes nothing - going to get some numbers and tweek it back into range and use this thread to keep me honest. Good thing I have a speedy-stir because I plan to keep on top of this pool..! -

:hammer: Ouch! - Already slipping...

PH: 8.2
TC: 0
TA: 150
CH: 200
CYA: 50

So I guess my focus in on the PH & TC. The handy calc detailed adding 40oz of 20muratic acid and 90oz of 11% CH/Bleach. I have jugs of each on hand so I'm going to give it a whirl.

Plan on perhaps a bit more acid than you think as the test only goes to 8.2 and you may be a little higher. Reduce it in increments however, so put in the suggested dosage and then retest in a few hours.

Stay focused on keeping chlorine in your pool. Test chlorine again the next day after you put it in. Don't be surprised if it has been consumed.

What city and state (climate) are you near? That influences the suggestions you will get.

Just amen-ing what Dave said except I wouldn't wait till the next day to test the chlorine. I'd test it after a couple of hours since it's been zero. Once you get it lined out and are sure it's not being consumed by organics, then you can test once a day.

My advice is to stay on top of that pH. Constantly. My pool was resurfaced only a couple years ago - I guess three since they said two when I bought it - yet I have a lot of calcium scale. Looks like my pool has psorriasis. I attribute it to only weekly adjustments, using test strips, by the previous pool service. When I started testing it myself, pH was off the scale. It took a ten pound bucket of dry acid and a gallon of muriatic acid just to see a change in color! And then a lot more acid and aeration to get things relatively stable. My pH can rise .4 in a couple days during the summer. I learned by experience that whenever I add an inch of water (we have hard water) that I need to add two cups of acid, which I usually pour in to the hose stream as I'm filling.

pH is the biggest factor in scaling. You're going to be fighting it for a year or so with the new finish. Don't relax. It's so much easier to keep scale from forming than it is to get rid of it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.