IntelliChlor IC40 operation questions

susa

Oct 31, 2010
Deep South
couple questions related to pages 3,5 and 7 from the Pentair IntelliChlor manual.

29lcizq.jpg

this states that the unit operates only when pump is ON but the pump is always ON, even when the pump is NOT running. since the IntelliFlow VF is always powered on, running it's own programming and the IntelliChlor transformer is also always ON, is there a conflict when the pump stops a cycle ? even when I manually stop the pump, it is still powered on while I clean out the cartridge filter.

255rvrm.jpg

the flow rate is normally only 15 GPM as I have currently a 24 hr/day run schedule. the manual states min flow of 25 GPM but the flow LED indicator does show green even at 15 GPM.

2s81eok.jpg

since I am still inside my initial 30 day new plaster cure window, there is no salt in the pool (other than what small amount the liquid bleach provides). thus when pump is running, the RED light indicator for salt level is ON, telling me system is OFF.

when pump stops running (manually or by change in runtime programming), two RED LED's come on (again, since power is always ON). am assuming this is normal, yet somewhat in conflict with the manual directions?

susa said:
this states that the unit operates only when pump is ON but the pump is always ON, even when the pump is NOT running.

This statement is confusing to me. Do you mean to say "this states that the unit operates only when pump is ON but the IC-40 is always ON, even when the pump is NOT running".

If that the case, the explanation is pretty straightforward. The IC-40 can be wired a couple of ways.

1) The transformer can be wired before a timer, or after. If the x-former is wired before the timer, the IC-40 is alway on and powered up, even when the pump is not running. The RED flow light is lit when the pump is off, however. The unit has a sensor that turns it "off" (no chlorine is generated but the IC-40 is still powered up).

2) The x-former is wired AFTER the timer. If it's wired this way, the IC-40 has no power at all until the pump actually kicks on.

The manual tells you to wire the IC-40 on the load side of a timer, not the line side. If you have no timer, the IC-40 has to be wired to be powered all the time.

susa said:
when pump stops running (manually or by change in runtime programming), two RED LED's come on (again, since power is always ON). am assuming this is normal, yet somewhat in conflict with the manual directions?
Yes, thats normal. The red flow light just tell you that the water isnt running thru the IC-40 and its "off". The other red light just tells you the salt is low.

As far as 15 gpm vs 25 gpm, I wouldnt worry about it. As long as you have a green flow light, you have enough water passing thru the cell to make it happy.

just asked the questions from Pentair Tech Support and apparently the Flow Sensor in the VF pump is not correct as the Green Flow LED is not supposed to be Green in < 25 GPM flowrate conditions.

The IC40 is *always ON* as it has a dedicated 240v connection just as the VF is *always ON* (even when not running since the controller determines when to actually run or sleep).

I have no timers or control centers as the VF pump is the *brains* that controls everything with it's own internal programming.

I am running at 15 GPM and the IC40 Flow LED is Green.

Pentair claims the flow is higher. Otherwise the IC40 sensor is wrong. I assume though that as long as the flow LED is Green (when the time comes to add salt to the new pool) the system would generate chlorine even if the flow truly is only 15 GPM.

Also the power is *never* cut off from either the VF or the IntelliChlor transformer (power center), the flow sensor in the IC40 is the brains that calculates runtimes and calibrates based on available flow minutes/hours.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.