pool plaster color

Oct 15, 2010
i am about to build a new pool. i have narrowed it down to two builders, both say that its very costly to add color the plaster pool (so that it looks like the fancy brouchure pictures). both say it will fad and could also be uneven coloring during construction. any thoughts of suggestions from the group?

gg

Welcome to TFP...get more estimates. Yes it is more costly than white plaster but products such as pebble tec can well outlast plain plaster pool surfaces.

From my recent (& limited) experience, the pool builders in NE FL normally include some basic color choices in their bids - at least those who use marbletite as the plaster. Darker mixes added $2-3k more for my size pool. Once completed, I've noticed some very minor variation where some of the additive was not mixed in uniformly, but it isn't noticible unless you are looking for minor flaws. I think I should have chosen a little more color to blue-up the water more (blustone w/ black or shappire - both no addl cost) but it is hard to really visualize the outcome. For us the extra $2k was better spent on the SWCG & sod!

I installed a new pool last year and used regular plaster colored with the same coloring mix they use for Peeble Tec. It looks amazing compared to the standard grey that many install. I used a color called Caribbean blue. I did all the other work on the pool (less concrete shell and plaster).

Every one that has seen the pool comments on the color and how nice it looks.

I bargained for a $500 up-charge for the color due to the soft market in pool building.

The color is all through the plaster and I do expect some spotting/ motting on the plaster, but personally I think that adds character or looks good and not like a plastic liner.

The plaster company I used does over 100's of high end plaster jobs a year here in New England.

blakeusa said:
The color is all through the plaster and I do expect some spotting/ motting on the plaster, but personally I think that adds character or looks good and not like a plastic liner.

Hey now...no need to put down all of us poor folk with "charachter lacking" vinyl liners :mrgreen:

I don't think the below pools look that bad :scratch: , but of course evryone is entitled to their own opinon :goodjob:

Attachments

• pool1.JPG
    pool1.JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 184
  • pool2.jpg
    pool2.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 172
  • pool3.jpg
    pool3.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 172
Seems I remember that for some colors, the installer can use sand that is the colorant in the plaster, rather than using a dye. I recall this being more expensive than the dyes, but tends to offer more consistent color throughout the surface. i.e. using black sand to achieve black plaster, or grey sand for grey plaster...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.