2650 pumps

All is well... the new pump is running (leak free) with Home Depot sand.. took about two weeks to open after sitting all winter. Skimmer and vacuum both work so much better! Although, when I hookup the vacuum, it seems like the pump loses pressure and gets air in it (even though I get all the air out of the hose first)... is that because it's not pulling enough water through with the vacuum connected? And, if so, would it be powerful enough to run a skimmer and an auto-vac (aqua critter) at the same time? Our pool has trees over it, so it pretty much has to be skimmed and vacuumed before each use and only doing one at a time creates a vicious cycle. I would love to come home from work to a clean pool!

Thanks again! The information provided on this forum is SO helpful!

All is well... the new pump is running (leak free) with Home Depot sand.. took about two weeks to open after sitting all winter. Skimmer and vacuum both work so much better! Although, when I hookup the vacuum, it seems like the pump loses pressure and gets air in it (even though I get all the air out of the hose first)... is that because it's not pulling enough water through with the vacuum connected? And, if so, would it be powerful enough to run a skimmer and an auto-vac (aqua critter) at the same time? Our pool has trees over it, so it pretty much has to be skimmed and vacuumed before each use and only doing one at a time creates a vicious cycle. I would love to come home from work to a clean pool!

Thanks again! The information provided on this forum is SO helpful!

probably not. I have the original inlet on my pool plus a hardplumbed separate skimmer which is essentially a second inlet. having two inlets like I do causes the suction to be divided in half between the two. Fortunately I put ball valves on both the skimmer and underwater inlet. So when I vac, i hook up to either the inlet or skimmer, and once vac is sucking in water, I close the ball valve to the other, doubling the suction of the vac.

If I vac while leaving the other inlet valve open, I dont have very much suction.

also, if I have a lot floating debris and I need extra skimming action, I close the ball valve on the underwater inlet, doubling the suction to the skimmer, which does a much better job at clearing floating debris.

i dont think the .95 hp 2650 pump would do good at running both a vac and skimmer. you would probably need a 1.5 hp pump to effectively do that.

So, the PSI fell, and I found the culprit.. the connection on the pump that goes to the filter has a screen/grid that was clogged. I closed the filter and the inlet, unscrewed the hose, popped the grid out and opened the inlet and all the gunk flowed out. Then I put everything back together and opened everything back up. Have you guys had to clean this grid and did you put it back in or leave it out? Why wouldn't it be okay to just let the filter catch this stuff instead of adding yet another place for things to get clogged?

Also, after doing this, the flow increased greatly (back to new) and now when I hook up a vacuum/auto-cleaner, the emergency air valve is activating and letting air into the system. It wasn't doing this before. Everything was working fine for about four weeks. Do you guys have this problem?

Lastly, the increased flow is causing my auto-cleaner to move so fast it keeps falling over.. I created another thread for this, but any info is appreciated.

So, the PSI fell, and I found the culprit.. the connection on the pump that goes to the filter has a screen/grid that was clogged. I closed the filter and the inlet, unscrewed the hose, popped the grid out and opened the inlet and all the gunk flowed out. Then I put everything back together and opened everything back up. Have you guys had to clean this grid and did you put it back in or leave it out? Why wouldn't it be okay to just let the filter catch this stuff instead of adding yet another place for things to get clogged?

Also, after doing this, the flow increased greatly (back to new) and now when I hook up a vacuum/auto-cleaner, the emergency air valve is activating and letting air into the system. It wasn't doing this before. Everything was working fine for about four weeks. Do you guys have this problem?

Lastly, the increased flow is causing my auto-cleaner to move so fast it keeps falling over.. I created another thread for this, but any info is appreciated.

On the pump itself there is a screen on the inlet which is where the pre-filter basket is and there is another on the outlet where the hose connects and goes over to your multi-port. On my intex pump these screens if you wanna call it are molded into the plastic and cannot be removed.

I personally would not run the pump without these in place, the inlet for sure as it would stop any object that was small enough to get past the pre-filter basket and possibly break the PLASTIC impeller.

I have bamboo in my yard and the little needles used to get past my skimmer and get sucked thru the basket and get stuck on the inlet screen. I started using a 1gal paint strainer around my skimmer basket and it catches the needles now. I also do not vacuum without a debris bag.

I close the system and drain the pre-filter basket once a week and remove the pre-filter housing once a week to check for anything on the pump inlet screen. Mostly find some hair.
I assume that the hair gets in there when I use just the wall strainer on the inlet when my solar cover is on the pool and im not using the skimmer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.