No longer the pool girl...

Hey Chris :wave:

Thanks for checking in with us :goodjob:

I'm glad your doing well, south of that there Mansfield- Nixon line. :lol:

I'm with Beave and will give you a glowing recommendation, if it will help. If you're anything like me, you're not truly happy if you don't have a pool, or 6, to play with.

Love and Luck :!: Thanks for keeping us up to date on your doings :cheers:

waste said:
Hey Chris :wave:

Thanks for checking in with us :goodjob:

I'm glad your doing well, south of that there Mansfield- Nixon line. :lol:

I'm with Beave and will give you a glowing recommendation, if it will help. If you're anything like me, you're not truly happy if you don't have a pool, or 6, to play with.

Love and Luck :!: Thanks for keeping us up to date on your doings :cheers:

Ted...Don't I know that. I haven't opened my pool this late since I got it. I didn't know what to do with myself. My 2nd cousin and his wife moved to a new home in town, and they just happened to get their hands on a used pool. So with a new liner, they are having it put in. I will be excited to help them with maintenance and stuff...They have never owned a pool so it will be fun to teach them how to take care of it. She is going to be real easy to teach...we already talk two or three times per week about what is needed. Spread the knowledge right???

Beave, I do believe we speak the same language - not having a pool or 2+ to play with leads to idle hands :) (It's a sure sign of 'Sparklypoolosis' :p )

I'm happy to hear that you've got 2 pools to attend and a willing student in your cousin!

It seems to me that there is a positive correlation between how much someone cares about their pool and how much they are willing to help others with their pools, spreading the word shows one really cares :cheers:

Happy trouble free pooling this season! :whoot:

(If you have any problems, a lady named Ann, just started up a pool service company in your area :mrgreen: )

I'm pool less...and forced to serve on the HOA of our community pool....I'm officially wearing a black armband for the season in mourning of what I had...and I'm sooooooo hopeful (delusional) that the new owners are nurturing and stroking and babying my (their) pool and hot tub the way I did....

Really? I'm doing good. Despite the pool issue...we are loving life in VA...197 wineries in the state? Truly, who could be sad??

I am really really happy. Thanks for asking...

waste said:
Beave, I do believe we speak the same language - not having a pool or 2+ to play with leads to idle hands :) (It's a sure sign of 'Sparklypoolosis' :p )

I'm happy to hear that you've got 2 pools to attend and a willing student in your cousin!

It seems to me that there is a positive correlation between how much someone cares about their pool and how much they are willing to help others with their pools, spreading the word shows one really cares :cheers:

Happy trouble free pooling this season! :whoot:

(If you have any problems, a lady named Ann, just started up a pool service company in your area :mrgreen: )

YUP I know...she was my GURU...All I know comes from the poolmom! I am just willing to pass it on!

Checking in. I volunteered to be on the pool committee.
I think things are going to be good here. The pool uses 12.5% liquid in big drums with a pump, lines, etc. :party: :party: :party: The guards are on top of the continuous feed and are very diligent in their work both safety wise and monitoring levels and constantly adjusting. Overstabilization shouldn't be an issue here as there's no trichlor or dichlor being used. :party: CYA is added separately if needed. Currently we are under 30 and I'm ok with that considering the continuous supply of FC and it's running within ranges nearly every time I check the books. The water is crystal clear and improving daily. The head guard is great and very dedicated. The area manager who comes a couple times a week is great to work with, communicative, and we have good discussions.

We have some staining we are currently troubleshooting with the company and since plaster/masonry/whatever you call it is new for me, I'm not getting involved too much there. One of the other board members has addressed that from his experience.

The only chem issue we have is high TA and that is being addressed. The past history of the pool is that we had poor management prior to this year and our white coat is in pretty bad shape for only the 6th season. We're hoping with :hammer: keeping chemicals in perfect order, we should be able to get a few more years out of it....not the number we would have if it had been done right to begin with, mind you, but a few more. There's some other minor things that together could spell big dolllars if not addressed soon, but overall, I'm feeling good about things at this point. The other board members have many many years of experience and we all seem to be on the same page with things.

No questions to report and at least there wasn't the trichlor/dichlor debate to get into with anyone, happily. I would have had to leave the board, likely, if that's what I had to deal with.

Hey, pg,

Good to hear from you. It's nice to know that there are some folks out there who understand the function of the chemistry in their pools. It's especially nice to hear that you are in the middle of things helping them where needed. Y'all will likley have the sparkliest pool in VA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It can be annoying, but you are wise to be on the HOA Board. I lived in a townhouse for 9 years. I was on the board for 8 of them. It was a small complex, only 22 units, about half were rentals. But there were some people who never quite grasped the concept of accrual accounts. One woman in particular always wanted to "make the board pay for that." Well, yes, the board could pay for new porch lights all around, but then we would come up short and have to jack the dues next year, so everyone ends up paying for a new light anyway, and only hers was bad. She also thought we should keep the pool heated year-round.

It also pays to really study proposals. We had three bids from landscapers. The low bidder would only trim bushes to 10'. The others up to 15'. The difference? A ladder. Oh, and the fact that the low bidder also ran a tree-trimming business seperately....

The management company used to have a "handyman service", who was actually licensed contractor, come out and take care of odds and ends. We discovered he was getting $65 for the call to change a bulb on the outside lighting. After that, we bought a bunch of bulbs, stored them in the pool shed, and one of the board members would change it out if one burned out.

You gotta be on the board to guard your wallet!

Thanks Dave squared, Butterfly, and Richard, everyone. I'm really glad the knowledge I gained here and in my former backyard is still there and able to put to good use.

The HOA committee isn't bad really. I was at my first board meeting tonight though, and wow, that was an experience...I sat through nearly an hour and a half of :blah: :blah: :blah:. My turn came and I had quick concise notes and took about 2 minutes time. Asked if there were questions, there were none, and the thank you's were said. I'm going to ask that ours be one of the first committee reports going forward instead of the last.

Thank you so much for the positive encouragement to do this. It's really outside my comfort zone to serve in this capacity. But, the flip side is I don't have the heebie jeebies in my community pool.

See ya around...I may pop up in the forum and help you guys out here and there...its all coming back to me, ya know.

One question...what's with the CYA test in the Taylor K2005? Not 2006, but K2005...Either summarize if you have experience or point me to a good direction for some good details cuz it's not the same as I was used to in the TFT one I was using.

poolgirl22 said:
One question...what's with the CYA test in the Taylor K2005? Not 2006, but K2005...Either summarize if you have experience or point me to a good direction for some good details cuz it's not the same as I was used to in the TFT one I was using.
The CYA test in the K-2005 and K-2006 are the same; it's the one in the TF-100 that is different, using a separate tube that can read from 20 to 100 ppm. In the Taylor K2005/6 kits, the CYA test uses the FC tube (which in the K-2006 isn't used for FC, but it's still the narrower tube on the left) and has markings on the back reading from 30 to 100 ppm. See this link and scroll down to see a picture of the markings at the back of the tube. The CYA dispensing bottle is 14 ml so is smaller than that in the TF-100, but the principle is the same where you fill it half with pool water and half with R-0013 reagent, mix, then fill the CYA tube with the black dot in it until the dot disappears.

chem geek said:
poolgirl22 said:
The CYA test in the K-2005 and K-2006 are the same; it's the one in the TF-100 that is different, using a separate tube that can read from 20 to 100 ppm. In the Taylor K2005/6 kits, the CYA test uses the FC tube (which in the K-2006 isn't used for FC, but it's still the narrower tube on the left) and has markings on the back reading from 30 to 100 ppm. See this link and scroll down to see a picture of the markings at the back of the tube. The CYA dispensing bottle is 14 ml so is smaller than that in the TF-100, but the principle is the same where you fill it half with pool water and half with R-0013 reagent, mix, then fill the CYA tube with the black dot in it until the dot disappears.
Thank you! When the pool manager told me 'less than 30' I was a bit nervous that he was using strips instead of liquid reagents. Then he showed me the tube...I didn't want to be so rude as to yank it out of his hand and inspect for myself...even though I wanted to!!! HA! I can't exactly do everything as there is a liability issue to consider. Will check out the link. Thanks again!
c.

poolgirl22 said:
... The HOA committee isn't bad really. I was at my first board meeting tonight though, and wow, that was an experience...I sat through nearly an hour and a half of :blah: :blah: :blah:. My turn came and I had quick concise notes and took about 2 minutes time. Asked if there were questions, there were none, and the thank you's were said. I'm going to ask that ours be one of the first committee reports going forward instead of the last.

PG22 - Good for you cutting to the chase! :goodjob: I went through that for many years on various boards and - quite frankly - it got old quick !! :grrrr:

I used to work for a large development company that has a dedicated HOA "expert" - if you have specific issues or questions - ask - I can call him and get some pro bono advice ... or set up an introduction. :cheers:

Mike

Here is a link that contains videos of every test in the K-2005 and the K-2006, including the cyanuric acid test. Scroll down at the bottom of the page to choose the test you want to see demonstrated.

poolgirl22 said:
Thanks Dave squared, Butterfly, and Richard, everyone. I'm really glad the knowledge I gained here and in my former backyard is still there and able to put to good use.

The HOA committee isn't bad really. I was at my first board meeting tonight though, and wow, that was an experience...I sat through nearly an hour and a half of :blah: :blah: :blah:. My turn came and I had quick concise notes and took about 2 minutes time. Asked if there were questions, there were none, and the thank you's were said. I'm going to ask that ours be one of the first committee reports going forward instead of the last.

Thank you so much for the positive encouragement to do this. It's really outside my comfort zone to serve in this capacity. But, the flip side is I don't have the heebie jeebies in my community pool.

See ya around...I may pop up in the forum and help you guys out here and there...its all coming back to me, ya know.

Hey Poolgirl...you know everyonce in a while you have to step out of your comfort zone to experience new things. I think it is great that you are doing this. It certainly gives you some place to use all of your knowledge since you can't have a pool of your own. You certainly should have the best maintainted public pool ever. I hate public pools because they traditionally don't test for CCs...and even though their test kit may read between 1 and 3 ppm...it is loaded with CCs and my eyes always sting. I haven't been in public pool in 6 years. I'd go in your pool though!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.