New Small Pool, advice on equipment.

Eldon

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 23, 2010
I'm putting in a small outdoor swim spa and I'm looking for some advice to the configuration before it gets installed.

The system will be outdoors in Oregon. The pool will be a fiberglass Swimspa style around 4000 gallons, (8.5 feet x 18 feet x 5.6 feet deep) and there will be an inground hot tub as well (Viking Regal model.. guessing around 800-1100 gallons) Small water sheer feature. and Endless pool fastlane swim current generator. Pool will be used year round.

My pool installer wants to use the following equipment:
Pentair Easy Touch (Dual system)
Pentair Intellclor SWG
Gas heater

What I'm wondering about is if this system will generate too much chlorine for such a small pool. The pool installer originally wanted to use a copper ion disinfection unit for quite a bit more.

I'm also debating putting in solar for some additional (cheaper) heating for the pool.

The pool hasn't been installed yet, so I can still change things around if needed. Hoping to get advice on any and all aspects that may effect this installation.

Thank you in advance!

Buying the Pentair EasyTouch in combo with the SWG almost makes the SWG free (at least it looks that way for online purchases - I don't know as mine all came in a bundle from my PB). And with the Easytouch you can turn down the duty cycle in single digit values, i.e., 19 vice 20% "ON" time.

It's been along time since I lived in Oregon (left Beaverton spring 1983) but I think gas for anything other than the spa might be expensive. An electric heat pump might be a better choice (but then you might not be on Bonneville Power grid either - which used to be incredibly cheap).

Solar - depends - do you live in the part of Oregon where people rust instead of tanning? It works great in my area, but you need to consider the sun hours during the period when you would most need the help.

Thanks for your quick reply. I'm in Tigard, so I have the wonderful Beaverton weather. I'll probably have to do some calculations to determine if the solar pool heater is worth it or not. It may be a wash.

Thanks for your information about the EasyTouch. I didn't know you could set it below 20% or that you had 1% increments. That gives me all sorts of options, so I'm sure I'll be able to dial in my chemistry. Puts my mind at ease.

Thanks again.

-Eldon

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.