Pump Motor Overheating - High Amps

If that's not it, I would try to run 10 awg (stranded). Your short run test, the current dropped. I really think you have a problem with your mechanical timer. Good luck!

OK, timer taken out of the process. No light transformer. Wire from main panel to the motor with a simple switch in the circuit. Still drawing 19A at the motor under load.

And I noticed that the wire from the main panel to the timer is 10 awg stranded. Wire from timer to the motor is 12 awg stranded.

What am I doing wrong...??!!! Help...!!!!

captjake said:
What am I doing wrong...??!!! Help...!!!!

IMO, it has to be the wiring. Have you checked your connections at the main panel for tightness?

Any chance of getting a section of wire that you could temporarily route from the main panel to the current pump location as a test?

Just curious, are you still tripping the breaker? What type of meter are you using to measure current? Maybe your meter is the problem (If you are not tripping the breaker). Your wire is your last resort. You already checked the new motor and its not the problem. Maybe you can buy 75 feet on ROMEX and try it externally, I would get 10 AWG.

I'm running the pump now to get some circulation in the pool. I'm in south florida and the pool has been idle for 3 days. We'll have a small swamp soon without some movement. It's only been about 30 minutes and no breaker trip or overload of the thermo. I'll see which goes first.

I'm using a brand new clamp-on ammeter. I thought that was an issue too, but I checked it on my air conditioner. It was correct.

You think ROMEX is OK for testing? I guess if it's not laying on the ground permanently we should be good. 10-2 awg stranded?

That should be fine, What size is your conduit? If its big enough and if it turns out to be the wire, you can cut off the insulation and pull the wires in the conduit. Only problem is you might not find it in stranded that easily. Good Luck!!!!

captjake said:
The conduit can definitely handle it, but like you said, hard to find stranded ROMEX. OK, off to Lowes. Will report back later. Thanks.

No such animal as stranded Romex. Also, you cant run Romex in conduit like that. Romex is not rated for wet areas, and conduit run outside whether buried or not is considered a wet area. The proper wire to use is stranded THHN wire.

bk406 said:
No such animal as stranded Romex. Also, you cant run Romex in conduit like that. Romex is not rated for wet areas, and conduit run outside whether buried or not is considered a wet area. The proper wire to use is stranded THHN wire.

This is incorrect, you can get stranded romex in #8/2 and that's why I told him to cut the insulation off it works...

salp said:
bk406 said:

This is incorrect, you can get stranded romex in #8/2 and that's why I told him to cut the insulation off it works...

HMMM? I've never seen it. Guess that doesnt mean it doesn't exist, huh?!

However, its just as easy and cheaper to get stranded THHN wire and do it correctly. No cutting of insulation and taking a chance at nicking the wire.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I agree, he is trying to troubleshoot the problem and do a quick test. He really does need to go to 10 awg or lower. Yup, stranded romex is available in 8 AWG or lower. Thats why I said you will probably have a tough time finding 10 awg romex stranded. If he lived close by, I got tons of excess wire at my house he could try...

salp said:
I agree, he is trying to troubleshoot the problem and do a quick test. .

Understood. It's just hard to get across a ton of points when typing on here :hammer:

I think he has a problem with his wiring too. I guess my point was if he's going to spend the money on a "test" wire and at the end of the day it turns out he needs to pull new wire, why not just get individual stranded conductors for the test wire in the first place. Thats all I was trying to say in an awkward way, I guess :oops:

salp said:
I agree, sometimes it can. No worries! Hopefully it is the wire, he has tried everything else... :hammer:

:mrgreen:

One other thing and i'll shut my trap on it :lol:

If he does use the stripped Romex, he will still have to buy some green, insulated wire for the ground. You cant run bare ground wire in conduit. I guess you could since an inspector wont see it, (i think an inspector wont see it), but i wouldnt do it.

This is true, he might be able to use the existing one, but if you are buying new, you should probably buy all three. Dam, if he is going through all this trouble, he should run 220V and get a different pump...

Just another thought, your pump looks like it can be tapped for 115V or 220V. If you have 220V available in your panel, all you would need is a new breaker and maybe a new mechanical timer??? Not sure of your setup. Is the pump still running???

I was thinking of this too. I can still use the 10awg for 220V? And what size breaker? I also need to check if I have room in the panel. The dryer and maybe the air handler are on 220...?

Not at home yet to check on pump, but I can tell if it was cycling based on the timer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.