Restoration project

I would like to see the description of work. It sounds like the pool is going to be epoxy painted.
If so, do you know which brand of paint the pool builder will be using? I have decided to use
KellyTech Zeron on my pool when I am finally finished patching my cracks with epoxy.

I really can't offer any advice on going with salt water. But any material or product that can handle
chlorine should not have a problem with SW. Have you seen any of this PB's work in person or talked
to anyone that has used him in the past? He sounds almost too good to be true :)

I have pretty much given up on finding someone reputable to work on my pool. Nobody wants to touch
repair work around Chicago. Hardly anyone calls back or actually shows up. The few that have shown
interest want a huge amount of money and cannot give me any references or examples of their work.
My goal was to find someone with more knowledge than myself on pool repair and materials. I know
there is someone out there, I just can't find them. It will take longer, but I am doing everything myself.

Good luck with the pool!

-Brad

Hi again Brad,

Sorry for the lack of info in my last post but I was using my iphone.

Basically I was supposed to meet him at my place but I was not able to make it. He decided, on his own, that he would pass by anyhow. He was down at the pool when my wife saw him.
He wrote up a rough estimate of what he felt he was there to do and left it with my wife. When I got home I wasn't super happy because I wanted to discuss the pool with him. I met him a second time when I was in town to discuss the estimate that lacked info and had this high price tag. ($10000)

Basically the guy was super nice, understanding and listened pretty well. I was there to see what was so expensive and figure out what he would do and what I would do.

His quote(which my wife has at the moment) goes something like this:

Sandblast 1500
12" decorative tile 2000
plumbing 1500
returns and lights 1500
mechanical hook up 2000
paint 1500

total $10000

So I'm like, this doesn't make sense. I'll do the returns and Nexxus lights which I already have and paint the pool. $2000 for hook up sounded crazy.... Until he explained.

He says look, you don't want to do the returns yourself because if you mess them up you'll be pulling up all your expensive stone next year. Let me do it. I said but why the plumbing expense and return expense and hookup? He explains:

Sandblasting pool: $1500, includes of course any clean up
12" decorative tile: included any tiles on the board(.75" mosaics)
plumbing: includes all the pipes fitting for three returns and two lights, all plumbed separately with valves at the pad, he also tells me that he's going to give me a new double drain in the floor.
returns: include three holes, lights two holes, fittings
mechanical hook up: includes a hayward cartridge filter, salt system, hooking up my pump and my heater
paint: Here is the one that gets me. He says that the paint price includes the repair of every single problem in that pool, including the joint along my new section which he says that he would have done jointless with gunite to the floor. This includes everything even injection if needed.

Paint colour will be grey.

It's a bit out of my budget but he sounds really good and he's eagar to do my pool. His company built(his company) 36 gunite pools last year and I saw his project board in the back room and it was full.
He also promised to be on site for my job. Sounds good to me.

During all this I still have to contract for pavers, landscaping and the pool house. The fence I'm doing. I had to leave myself something. : )

Of all of it, the only thing I find expensive is the paint, but you can

Yes the price sounds good to me to.

We haven't signed anything yet but I told him that I wanted to proceed. He called his sandblast guy and they did the pool this morning.

Attachments

• sandblast.jpg
    sandblast.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 401
Update.

Plumbing/coping and tile are early next week. Then pavers, quartz, fence and pool cabin.

:)

Attachments

• Stairs.jpg
    Stairs.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 363
  • pool_coping_tile.jpg
    pool_coping_tile.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 364
  • Stairs (1).jpg
    Stairs (1).jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 361
Hello Bruce,

End of July all is ready for the swimming season? You miss nothing.. with all the rain the past weeks - we really can be lucky to have a great late summer !! :lol:

The project looks great, like the choice of tiles!

Greets,
Goesta

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The plumbing is now all done and I'm waiting on the coping guy. Then the tiles will go in, then the finish.

Pavers, finish shed, fence, and lots of sleep I hope! : )

Here's the pool house I've been building while waiting on the professionals..........

Attachments

• shed (1).jpg
    shed (1).jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 322
  • shed.jpg
    shed.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 323
Plumbing is all done, coping all done, pavers are happening tomorrow and the cabin exterier is almost finished.

Phewf.

Attachments

• pooltiles.jpg
    pooltiles.jpg
    396.9 KB · Views: 240
  • pooltiles (2).jpg
    pooltiles (2).jpg
    329.4 KB · Views: 237
  • pooltiles (1).jpg
    pooltiles (1).jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 239

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.