New pool low Chlorine

Ok I am now concerned I added too much chlorine the pool is quite high in smell. I was told not to test again for 4 days to let things settle.

I know you will say you need to see the levels ;) which today i will go get tested, but I am just curious that when you shock the pool if it stays so chlorine rich in smell for long and at what point do I turn the SWCG back on?

I added 30oz of powder chlorine shock to 17,000 gal of zero chlorine level pool water. I have now added 6LB of stabilizer also.

My other area of miss understanding was I thought the idea of a salt pool was so you did not have that awful chlorine smell and skin irratation when swimming?

Whoever told you not to test again for 4 days is doing you a grave disservice. You should test chlorine every day! Especially when shocking. Keep in mind that "shocking" is much more than throwing some product that's labeled as shock into your pool.

If you have a strong chlorine smell, what you're smelling is chloramines and that means you need to shock properly. I say again, shock is a process and not a product. In order to shock successfully you're going to need a good test kit. You're also going to need to quit listening to whomever you're listening to now that told you not to test for 4 days.

You're going to have to make up your mind who you're going to follow; us, who have your best interest at heart, or the pool store, who has your wallet at heart.

Once you get your pool balanced properly you won't have an odor or any skin irritation. You, like a lot of other people have been given the misconception that a salt pool is not a chlorine pool. That is not true. A salt water chlorine generator produces the same method of sanitation that pouring chlorine in the pool produces; chlorine!

Proper balance is the key to having a clean odor & irritation free pool. There are no magic bullets.

Hi

I am following the guidence here, the only thing I am using the store is for testing as at this moment in time I do not have the recommended test kit, being in canada also makes it hard to locate this kit due to import restrictions. So for now i am at the mercy of the local store for testing only.

I will get the levels tested today, but my question is, does shocking the pool over elevate the chlorine levels temporarily and the reason for the smell.

New levels will be posted this afternoon, but from what i have written so far am i on the right track?

Oh and do I now turn the SWCG back on?

I might have been a little harsh there and I didn't realize you were in Canada (you should put that in your sig). Sorry!

Even at high FC levels the only smell you'll have is a faint clean laundry smell if you don't have any CC's. If you're smelling that chlorin-y smell you have high CC's and need to maintain shock level as often as every hour until it's gone. Without a good test kit you're not able to test for CC's.

Have you read the article in Pool school on how to shock? If not you need to read it and if you have, you need to read it again.

I do understand the issue people in Canada have with getting a good test kit and I sympathize with you.

Hi

No worries, yes being in canada we are stuck with store testing stations.

I have read the article a few times but have to say i am a bit lost. My understanding was that shocking a pool was adding neat chlorine I was not aware you have to do this hourly?

I would much appreciate a dummies (newbies) simple guide to this. Being so new there are so many terms I am totally lost to be honest :(

Going away for 8 days tomorrow does not over help either.

OK read it again, now sort of got a grip of this.

Trouble is going away is going to make it hard to follow this properly. I have added the amount of chlorine as stated before and will get the levels tested again this afternoon.

My last test results showed combined chlorine at 0ppm but then i had no FC at that point either, so i am hoping I now have some FC to sho on the test.

Do you suggest i add anymore chlorine before going away? or just leave the SWCG set at say 60%?

Go ahead and turn your SWCG back on and as soon as you have the test results add enough chlorine to get back to shock level.

I'd probably bump the SWCG up to the next percent level and let it run while while you're gone.

Shocking:
1) Measure the FC level

2) Add enough chlorine to bring FC up to shock level

3) Repeat steps 1 and 2 as frequently as practical, as often as once per hour, and not less than twice a day, until:

a) CC is 0.5 or lower;

b) An overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less;

c) And, if you don't have a FAS-DPD test kit, the water is clear.

Until you can commit to either getting a kit or making hourly trips to the pool store to test water, not purchase anything, and post the results here...it will be tough to shock your pool with knowledge...go on the trip, let the SWG run daily and hope for the best :shock: . If any of us were to answer your question as to whether you are on the right track, we would be guessing and doing you a disservice.

I feel your pain about testkit avail in CA...rip-off if you ask me, but unfortunately even at $200 it's still worth it IMO. You can try ebay too.

My CC is at 0.00 right now. well was yesterday before adding the chlorine.

This is my biggest headache, to find out if I have added enough chlorine to get back up to shock level i have to do a 10 mile round trip :(

First I have to find out what my CYA is, I guess i am looking for a figure between 60-80ppm?

Second would be the shock level i am looking for, I guess this is based on the level my CYA is at testing?

Man this is not all swim and enjoy is it :(

Bama Rambler said:
Go ahead and turn your SWCG back on and as soon as you have the test results add enough chlorine to get back to shock level.

I'd probably bump the SWCG up to the next percent level and let it run while while you're gone.

I have the SWCG set at 60% on the pro logic P4 controller. The installers said run it at 50%, but I am not sure of their knwledge in this field

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks

I will post chlorine results and CYA results later today.

I assume if FC is at correct levels or even higher and CC is below .05 things should be ok for now.

What i cant get my head around is what is CC? Other than the stuff that smells and burns your eyes. if I add shock the pool stinks of it, but the discription of this says that shocking it gets rid of it.

So understanding my confusion is if shocking the pool makes it stink of chlorine............??

When there's something in the water for the chlorine to sanitize it creates CC's in doing so. Once it's sanitized everything in the water it no longer creates CC's and therefore the chlorin-y smell goes away.

So what happens is that when your FC gets low things start growing and then when you add more chlorine it uses up some of it to kill whatever is in there and creates byproducts (CC) in doing so. It creates those byproducts until you keep the FC high enough long enough to kill it all. Then it won't have that chlorin-y smell anymore even if your FC is really high.

Michael, it will take a week or more for your CYA levels to get up there. DO NOT add more CYA and test it again when you get back from our trip. This is nanotank from RC... Michael, I have been running my FC at 5-6 I just fill it gives me a little more cushion and have not shocked since joining this site and the pool is sparkling.

Hey ;) So its your fault I now live on another forum too ;)

I will get a snap shot of how things are doing later, as the water is barely 72 hours old I am sure my organics will be low (I hope)

The only thing I was planning on shocking before I got this pool was by wearing speedos in front of the neigbours! Now its a word that gives me sleepless nights.

You get the pool in order and the params and you can still shock them and not your pool. I sent you an email also. Just like reefing it takes a little time but with your chemistry knowledge of water you will be good to go in no time. The worst part is leaving for 8 days at this time....
jeff

Ok so the results

First place was not overly helpful although they have the best test facility, they would only test the FC and CYA, according to the spotty teenager FC and CC are the same!! In other words she did not bother to test for it becuase it had been less than 24 hours since being there and "its their policy"

Anyway

FC 7
CYA 70

Went to other place that users clour strip analysis and got

FC 6.8 (so fairly happy with that matching the other)
CC 0.00
CYA 25!!

So one said 70 the other 25???

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.