Calcium scaling/clouding?

jparr

Jun 12, 2010
Any time I scrub my pool with a stainless brush, it kicks up clouds in to the water. When I am finished, the entire pool is cloudy. After a few hours the water is crystal clear again. Is this calcium scaling getting scraped off of the walls? Am I damaging the plaster? My CH is somewhere between 400-500, hard to read the color right, I suffer from a fading endpoint. I have slowly brought the TA down over the past few months from close to 200 to 90.

Results from today:

FC 8.5
CC 0
Ph 7.8
TA 90
CH 500
CYA 60
Salt 3600
Temp 82

YOu sure have conditions that are possible to cause scaling....high pH, CH, and TA.

My guess is that's what it is.

I would suggest you do a partial drain and refill to get your CH down around 250 and, IMPORTANTLY, keep your pH not higher than 7.5. The TA of 90 should be fine.

I have no idea if it has appreciably damaged your plaster but, regardless, you should eliminate the condition.

duraleigh said:
YOu sure have conditions that are possible to cause scaling....high pH, CH, and TA.

My guess is that's what it is.

I would suggest you do a partial drain and refill to get your CH down around 250 and, IMPORTANTLY, keep your pH not higher than 7.5. The TA of 90 should be fine.

I have no idea if it has appreciably damaged your plaster but, regardless, you should eliminate the condition.
Unfortunately my fill water has a CH of 650 or so, and a Ph somewhere north of 8. The shower heads in the house need a CLR soaking every few months to keep flowing. I drain a few inches from the pool before we get rain to try and lower the CH ever chance I get. My Ph likes to hang out around 7.8 now what I put in a SWG, so I'm trying to get the TA down low enough to compensate. Can I scrub the stuff off in to the water and flock it? Or will it just redissolve in to the water? There isn't really any options around here to get softer water, and no RO treatments available.

Unfortunately my fill water has a CH of 650 or so, and a Ph somewhere north of 8.
Yikes! :shock: :shock:

I believe if drive your pH down to around 7.0 with muriatic and CAREFULLY monitor so you don't keep it any lower the process will stop. I also believe (but am not sure) that the powder may return back into solution.

From that point, I would not let pH up much more than 7.2 or so.

simicrintz said:
Where are you located where the fill water is that high in CH? I may want to take a drive (fly) out and look at a business opportunity!
Nassau, Bahamas. Pretty sure it wouldn't be cost effective to transport your RO kit here, but you are welcome to try.

jparr said:
simicrintz said:
Where are you located where the fill water is that high in CH? I may want to take a drive (fly) out and look at a business opportunity!
Nassau, Bahamas. Pretty sure it wouldn't be cost effective to transport your RO kit here, but you are welcome to try.

I've wanted to get back to Atlantis again for quite a while, so you never know!

While I am not happy to hear that you are fighting this battle, my sympathy, based on where you live, is not quite what it was when I was thinking that you might be winterizing soon and your swim season was ending! In fact, I don't think I feel sorry for you at all anymore (but that's just jealousy talking!) :lol: :lol:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.