Bubbles in pump strainer basket

That has to be a good feeling... Not to hijack this thread but I have the exact same symptoms (skimmer + main drain open ~ 1 hour = turbulence) however, I have found that if I run the pump with the valve set to Recirculate, the pump basket fills with water and stays that way. When I set it back to Filter, I get turbulence in short order and eventually lose p

hm, good timing for me too. When my VS is on a higher speed, I have great prime with no air. Drop it down to 50% and I start to get some air at the top of the pump basket. I would have thought a pressure (EDIT: SUCTION SIDE!) side leak, you'd get more air the higher the pressure (pump speed) but I'm seeing the opposite. I have an ozonator too, perhaps at a lower flow rate, the ozone gas being fed to the pump basket just isn't swept away as quickly and it accumulates in the top of the basker?

I've found some other threads on here regarding air in the pump basket of VS pumps. Seems many have this as an issue and just deal with it by running the pump at a minimum speed to keep the air bubbles at bay so as to not lose prime or use a timer to ramp the pump up every so often. See thread http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/29179-Poll-for-Users-of-Variable-Speed-Pumps-Please-Read

Even with the removal of the ozonator I still seem to have the issue as described in the thread linked but at a greatly reduced rate. Prior to removal I was concerned about losing prime at anything below about 2200 rpm. Now, I can safely run it at 1300 rpm without significant buildup of air.

I only run it at 50% to mix chemicals at night. Maybe 2 hours at 85% would do the same amount of mixing as 4 hours of 50%.
I do run lower speed for water features though. It's just interesting, I used to run it at 30% overnight with no issue. I had some section of pipe replaced two weeks ago, but that was on the pressure side, all above ground. But I also adjusted the ozonator because it seems the gas valve was closed.

I'll keep playing with it. DO some extended testing using either just the main or just the skimmer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.