Warning...Just seen on Fox News...make sure you get a permit

poolgirl22 said:
Sooooo...you prominently display beer can towers and shoot the cans with b b guns or bean bags on occasion, yes? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Do we know each other? :? :mrgreen:

I used this tactic to great effect back in college. My first roommate was an ordained baptist minister from Sugarland, Texas(read in a southern sing-song voice: Suga-Land). And although I'm sure we would get along just fine nowadays, we didn't see eye to eye back then. :wink: So as a political statement, illustrating the philosophical divide between us, I built a wall down the center of our dorm room made of ... beer cans. :twisted:

...empty of course... <hiccup>

When we were kids...a long time ago...we were told the county flew a plane over the area, and would see who built stuff like a pool, and then send them a bill...we always wanted to lay out a blue plastic tarp in the shape of a pool, then wait for the notice, and laff like heck when they come to look and NO pool...

MyBad said:
When we were kids...a long time ago...we were told the county flew a plane over the area, and would see who built stuff like a pool, and then send them a bill...we always wanted to lay out a blue plastic tarp in the shape of a pool, then wait for the notice, and laff like **** when they come to look and NO pool...

That put a smile on my face, thanks!

frustratedpoolmom said:
poolgirl22 said:
Sooooo...you prominently display beer can towers

Beave, somewhere we have a pic of those prominently displayed beer cans (covering Tim while he was sleeping.... :mrgreen: )

We do too...Let me explain...The Poolmoms and the Beave's have been friends forever her DH and I went to college together and were roommates, best friends etc. Our home is just a block from the greatest small town 4th of July parade...or as it has become known as Frothy July...Anyhew...my brother in Law, Tim after sitting though 90 degree heat for three hours of parade and drinking a cooler of beer proceded to shall we say fall asleep in the shade on a lounge chair. DH and I and our still awake friends proceeded to stack beer cans all over Tim and then place the kids golf balls on top of the beer cans(these are the big plastic balls with big plastic clubs) The best picture is poolmoms DH teeing one off on the beer can stuck between my BInLaws legs. It is a frothy July favorite because my 21 year old niece then about 4 was crying in the back ground "Don't Hurt my Daddy!!!" We tease her about it all the time. She still remembers it too!

Ahh the good times :cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
poolgirl22 said:
Well Cubby...this southern indiana girl is originally a N. Indiana girl...so....

Pool girl can you go back and forth between accents??? People in the southern part of the state always tell me you must be from Chicago...pronounced SHE Caa GO...I find though because of spending so much time between Northern Indiana and Northern Wisconsin...I can jump right into the Norther Wisconsin accent almost immediately...Just wondered if you catch yourself slipping into and out of the different accents...because we up here in the northern corner of the state...Sure talk funny to you in the rest of the state!!!

cubbybeave08 said:
poolgirl22 said:
Well Cubby...this southern indiana girl is originally a N. Indiana girl...so....

Pool girl can you go back and forth between accents??? People in the southern part of the state always tell me you must be from Chicago...pronounced SHE Caa GO...I find though because of spending so much time between Northern Indiana and Northern Wisconsin...I can jump right into the Norther Wisconsin accent almost immediately...Just wondered if you catch yourself slipping into and out of the different accents...because we up here in the northern corner of the state...Sure talk funny to you in the rest of the state!!!
As a matter of fact, yes...I pick it up on both sides actually....people here know I'm from N. Indiana. But, I also pick up a southern drawl pretty easily. We are more a Kentucky type accent here rather than southern, but you get the idea. I prefer the southern part of the state after living in all three regions. Just more slow paced and relaxed. Although I get frustrated with folks here sometimes because they, in general, don't embrace change very well. I'm accused of having 'big city ideas' that are just common sense to me... :mrgreen:

Lucky we live 10 miles from the nearest town. No permits required out here. Neighbors? um, relatives - can be a good thing or a bad thing, but lucky for us, it's all good.

frustratedpoolmom said:
how will they know when the pool was built? Google Earth hasn't been around that long...

Actually the satellite imagery that google earth loads HAS been around. Now you can access timelines in google earth.
You can go check it out yourself there is a "time scale" control now that lets you go back into time to examine a given area.
Various time scales apply to certain areas, but the dense urban stuff goes back a ways.

I doubt a city could enforce retroactive permits- thats a bit out there.

More red tape grrrrrrr

UD

Grandparents and parents live in Indiana!

Google Earth is pretty amazing and can pretty current. I've been in my current home for 11 months and the image you see right now is of gear spread in the backyard from about 3 months after we got here and before we had landscaping installed. I've been meaning to see if I could get a screen capture before it's updated.

I didn't need a permit for my AGP - I checked - but did for patio cover. Got the letter from assessor today that big brother definitely talks. "We received notice that a permit was issued for home improvement at your address. Please complete the form below showing all additions so we can properly assess your home. Failure to complete this form will result in a personal interview."

Or you could live in a money starved city hall city like ours that will make you get a permit and inspection EVERY YEAR to put up an Intex! Sheesh, I think the HOA is in bed with the city planners!

I would like to be able to put up a seasonal but like others, I know my HOA board member neighbor would report me just to be a PITA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.