3 pool companies are stumped - can you help?

Got the kit today! Yahoo!

3 p.m. readings:
FC = 0
CC = 0
TC = 0

CYA = 55 (did the read 3 times and got between 55 and 50 each time)
CH = 300
TA = 330
pH = 7.5

Added 5 gallons 12% chlorine

9:30 p.m. reads:
FC = .5
CC = 2
TC = 2.5

CH = 300
CYA = 50
TA = 280
pH = 7.5

Think I'm on the road to recovery :) I have 5 more gallons of 12% chlorine -
should I wait until morning to add? Or go ahead and load her up.

Thanks everyone!

You should hit it tonight. The pool calculator says 3 gallons of 12% will get your pool to a shock level of 20 (for a CYA of 50). I would say something used up all that chlorine in 6.5 hours and it probably wasn't the sun with your CYA at 50-55.

Just remember that shocking is a process, basically keeping your chlorine levels high until you get rid of the CC (combined chlorine) and your FC holds over night with 1ppm or less loss overnight. Keep an eye on your ph levels since you TA is high, it has a tendency to make you PH levels climb. Good luck and have fun!

I like to start a shocking process at night since there is no Cl loss due to sunlight and the high Cl level has the opportunity to kill organics at full strength overnight. Conduct a overnight test to determine if you need to continue high Cl levels during the day.

If you are trying to clear the pool of algae you will frequently find that a overnight test will show no loss of FC overnight but the pool is still cloudy. It may take a week of running the filter to filter out the dead algae. During this period you should maintain the pool at the minimum FC level for your CYA level; you do not need to maintain the pool at shock level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.