Just starting my conversion from Baqucrap to Chlorine

After adding 6 bags of shock last night I have a new set of numbers from the pool store, I know I know I ordered the test kit this morning.
Tc 2.1
FC 1
Cc 1
Ph 8
Ta 145
Cya 36

Here's my issue while the cc decreased a bit my tc lowered and FC lowered. This is after adding 6 bags of bioguard super shock. I added ph decreaser and. The number didn't move. I'm going to add muriatic acid today to lower ph.

Ok I just received my kit TF-100 couple of questions:
I tested the Chlorine first in the basic kit k-100 and I got about a 4 i then test it with the kit and i could not get the water to change to pink as instructed. it say to add a heaping scoop, it that with the small blue scoop included? why would i get a 3-4 on the basic kit test and not be able to get the water to turn pink. I even added two scoops just in case.

Second, CYA on Wednesday i added 4 lbs of CYA ( stabilizer) to the pool. the test, if i did it right, i filled the tube to th very top and could still very faintly see the black dot. I'm assuming that means my CYA is below 10, correct.

Anyother tips on using the kit???

The FAS-DPD test can occasionally give false zero results. The simpler OTO chlorine test is by far the most reliable way to test for chlorine/no chlorine. Try rinsing out the test vial carefully with tap water and then again with pool water and then try the FAS-DPD chlorine test again and see if it works correctly this time.

Yes, you use the very tiny spoon end of the little blue spoon/scoop when adding the R-0870 powder to the sample.

CYA can take up to a week to dissolve and fully show up on the CYA test. Give it some more time and test again when it has been a week.

new set of numbers
9:30 am last night 8:45 (added 1 bottle of chlorine about 2 hours earlier)
FC-2 3.5
CC 10.5 15.5
TC 12.5 19
PH7.3 7.3
TA 222 190
CYA about 20 10
(added CYA on Monday)

what adjustment should i make????

sorry the number mixed together:
last night 8:45 (added 1 gallon of pool chlorine 2 hours prior)
FC 3.5
CC 15.5
TC 19
PH 7.3
TA 190
CYA 10

9:30 am this morning
FC 2
CC 10.5
TC 12.5
PH 7.3
TA 222
CYA about 20
any suggestion???

Keep at it. To move things along as quickly as possible you can be testing and adding chlorine about once every two hours. (CYA in the water is slowing things down, which is why it isn't every hour.) Or, if you have other things to be doing, you can test and add chlorine as little as twice a day. The more frequently you test and add chlorine the sooner the conversion will be complete.

What are you using for testing? Your TA and CYA levels are varying quite a bit, which must be testing error since the actual levels wouldn't be fluctuating that much.

I hare the TF-100. I added CYA (4lbs) on Monday it seems t be slowly going up. should i add acid to bring down my PH a bit to sy 7.0 that wiil lower my TA as well correct. should i shock it as well or just keep adding Chlorine?

I'm not worried about your actual TA level, just your testing technique. The TF-100 can't give a TA level of 222, it only reads by 10s. You shouldn't try to interpolate between drops, it is either 220 or 230. Further, the TA level should not be changing, you should be getting the same test result every time.

When doing the TA test, you add drops until the color starts changing to something more or less red, pink, yellow, or clear. You then continue adding drops until as long as the color continues changing. The final drop, that does not change the color any further, does not count. Also, try wipping the tip of the dropper bottle with a damp cloth or tissue before you start and after each drop. That will prevent any static charge on the bottle from affecting the test results.

Also, aside from practicing with the test kit, there isn't any point in measuring anything except FC and CC each time. You don't really need to worry about the other numbers until the conversion is nearly complete.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The full conversion instructions are here. Well worth reading. There are some minor changes you need to make because you already added CYA, mostly using a higher FC level, but otherwise things are just as described there.

You continue adding chlorine to bring the FC level up to around 24 (24 instead of 15 because there is CYA in the water) until your overnight FC loss is 1.0 or lower and your CC level is 0.5 or lower on two consecutive days.

Generally, you shouldn't swim during a baquacil conversion. The highest FC level you should normally swim at depends on your CYA level. If we call your CYA level 15, then swimming is alright at FC levels between 1 and 11.

Ok so just to be clear. I will add 233 oz of 12.5% (says the Calculator) and once i reach 15 PPM i have to try and maintain that until i lose 1 ppm or less overnight and then i raise my CYA to about 30. correct.

added i gallon of shock waited about 1.5 hours
FC 21
CC 3
Do i keep adding chlorine every 2 hours or so and keep testing? also do i record the numbers when the solution returns clear or should i wait a minute or two to see if it stays clear. Just when i think it is clear by the time i record the number and look again its a very light shade of pink so i add another drop and it turns clear. I look again and it turns a very light shade of pink and i add another drop and it turns clear again... you get the point.
Sorry to be such a pest :)

When doing the FC and CC test, if the sample turns clear for 15 seconds or more you are done with that phase of the test. If you leave it sitting, it will turn pink again. You want to move along reasonably quickly during the test. Try to add a drop about once every second until near the end. At the end you need to slow down to be sure you spot it going completely clear.

10:00 pm latest numbers
FC- 13
CC- 11.5
still not registering much CYA after adding 4.5 lbs last monday. Im going to add another gallon of 12.5 % before bed. Im still a bit confused on a couple of thinks, the pool is quickly losing chlorine and my CYA has not risen much since i added some on monday. Should i add more CYA to get my chlorine to hold longer.
If i keep adding chlorine and it keeps dropping rapidly, it was 21 at 7:00pm and now it's 13 at 10:00 i added 1 gallon of shock around 5:30 pm, will one day it just stay around 15 and my CC is below.5??? Im just a bit confused i guess. :?

You are in the middle of a baquacil conversion, the chlorine is all getting used up getting rid of the baquacil. This will continue for some time, until you have added enough chlorine to finally get rid of the last of the baquacil.

You do not want any CYA in the water at this point in a baquacil conversion. The CYA you already added is slowing down the conversion and making everything take longer than it otherwise would. Don't add any more CYA until you get the point in the conversion instructions where it says to add CYA, or it will take even longer than it is already taking.

For now, just keep adding enough chlorine to bring the FC level back up to 24 as frequently as practical, up to as often as once every two hours.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.