Which port is skimmer and which is drain?

Jul 9, 2010
First, this forum is truly a godsend. I just re-opened my inground after not opening it last year, and this board has already helped me find a hugely stupid mistake on my part. Thanks to everyone for their posts - just reading over the last several days has given me a tremendous education.

My story (and very dumb question) quickly - the pool was put in a number of years ago (probably 20+) by the original owner of the house, and I've opened it every year (except last year) for the nine years I've lived here. The valve that feeds the pump is, I assume, the original one which is an old white plastic job. It has a line that's coming in at the 9 o'clock position - which has an old sticker that says 'Port A' - and a line that's coming in at the 3 o'clock position, that has a worn-away sticker that I assume was 'Port B'. There used to be markings on the valve in permanent marker that I think said 'full' and '1/2', meaning - again I assume - full skimmer and half skimmer/half drain. The markings have faded away over the years and I've actually forgotten which is the skimmer line and which is the split line. When I switch the valve to either of the two sides I can see draw in the skimmer. My hugely naive question: is there a convention or installation standard that says Port A is usually 100% skimmer? I know I should have this committed to memory, but amazingly enough I've forgotten which side is which. Any help greatly appreciated - and scolding expected... :wink:

JM

Welcome to TFP!!

We love to hear that we've helped :goodjob: (and pictures!)

You said that the skimmer seems to draw in either full A or full B - the valve is probably bypassing a little :( However, you should be able to notice a big difference in the amount drawn from one position to the other.

Thanks x-pert and waste - think I have it straight now. 'A' is skimmer and 'B' is split. I don't think there's a 'main only', as the 12 o'clock position seems to be 'off' and the 6 o'clock position seems to be 'off' as well. Don't know if that's strange, or normal for super-old valve, or if I'm just plain wrong....

Waste - agreed that there may be some bypassing going on in the valve. I'm thinking that maybe (when I close the pool?) I can pick up a replacement valve and put it in - doesn't look like too tough a job.

Thanks again for everyone's help, and I will post up some pictures next time, once I get this bad boy sparkling clean... :wink:

JM

Glad you got the valve figured out :cool:

Changing the valve once you close the pool is a good idea (I'd suggest a Jandy NeverLube 3 way valve :wink: ) If you can give me a pic of the existing valve and attached plumbing, I'll write you up a shopping list of materials you'll need and give you step by step advice on making the changeout :party:

Again, welcome to TFP!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.