Is there any downside to algaecide?

ElkPool

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2010
Elkridge, MD
I have some left over from the previous owner.

I know with perfect BBB, there may not be any need for algecide, but is there any downside whatsoever to throwing in a bit of algecide each week? Would it mean I could use less chlorine?

How about clarifier? I have some of that left over, too.

I think the only downside is if it has copper in it then you have to worry about green hair and what not. Plus I believe it will actually up your chlorine demand as the chlorine will eat it too. Polyquat 60 is what is recommended around these parts.

I can't comment on the clarifier.

Thanks. I'll check to see if there's copper. Why is there copper in these pool chemicals?! What is it supposed to DO?

If there's not any copper, I'll test a bit and see what it does to chlorine...I'm just nervous I'm going to get algae with high CYA.

Higher copper levels, especially at higher pH, can cause metal staining which can be difficult to remove. So it would be best to avoid the algaecide completely if it contains copper. If the algaecide is PolyQuat (ingredient is "Poly[oxyethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene dichloride]"), then the only downside to using it is a small increase in chlorine demand, assuming you use it in maintenance dosage levels. If it's a linear quat as Jason described that contains one of the following ingredients:

Polydimethyldiallyammonium Chloride
Alkyl dimethylbenzylammonium chloride
Dimethyl Benzyl Ammonium Chloride

then these are linear quats that can increase the amount of foaming and will also have a small increase in chlorine demand. When I refer to a small increase in chlorine demand, I mean small as in 0.1 to 0.2 ppm FC per day so not very noticeable.

OK...my algaecide (GLB Strike Out) does in fact have copper as its active ingredient. I'll hang onto it unless algae starts to pop up. I'm still tinkering around with how much chlorine I need in my unfortunately-high-CYA pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.