Ornery cloudy water

Welcome to TFP. :wave:

Oh, most of us know how much the wonderful people here help because most of use found TFP because of ongoing problems with our pools. Many of us are, also, long time pool owners, who always needed, but never could get the information found here to keep our pools in great, sanitary shape. Many of us didn't even know we needed to change our methods and just tolerated issues.

Sounds like you have a good handle things. :goodjob:

Personally, I would love to see pictures of your indoor pool. I don't know why but I've always been fascinated with the whole indoor pool concept. When we win the lottery :lol: :roll: :lol: :wink: :lol: we're going to make our pool a full time indoor pool.

gg=alice

svenpup said:
I have never had a pool store test my water, but based on the stories I hear on this site I imagine that their test kit (especially CYA) involves a chicken and a bunch of squares drawn on the floor with numbers written in them.

Accurate assessment.
One got 30, one got 76. I got 45 within 24 hrs of one another.

Thank you geekgranny, I am glad I found this website before I threw in the towel. I was ready to give up and hire the so called professionals. To tell you the truth the house belongs to a friend who lives abroad. My husband and I were asked to house sit until he and his family are ready to come back to the States when he retires in three years. If I could get the water right maybe I'll post a picture or two. It is a very interesting set up. The pool is on the ground floor surrounded by glass walls. People from the street literally stop to look, it's disconcerting sometimes.

Poolgirl22 I hear ya, I didn't realize the pool store didn't even bother to measure my CYA levels just because I told them it's an indoor pool. Makes me mad.

Hi. I'm back. I finally got my TF-100 kit today. That kit is awesome. Now I know why people say they feel like a mad scientist while performing the tests. Anyhoo, here are my results

PH - 7.5
TA - 90
FC - 3.5
CC - 1.5
CYA - <20
CH - 630 (I know this is really high but is this manageable?)

So according to the infinitely wise Pool Calculator I should put 324oz of bleach to reach my shock level of 10. I just dumped two 182 oz jugs of 6% bleach in there. Am I doing it right? How soon should I check the FC and CC again? According to 'How to Shock Your Pool' instructions I should dump chlorine as often as once per hour. Any advise on how much bleach to put every hour? I only have 5 182oz jugs left in the house right now. I cleaned our local Safeway and I plan to go to Costco tomorrow if I need more. I plan to attack that 1.5 of CC with gusto. How dare he stay in my pool uninvited. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Oh and any thoughts on the CH level? Could this be contributing on the cloudiness of the water? Thanks again.

Any advise on how much bleach to put every hour?

You need to test your FC, put that in the poolcalculator for "now" and put your target in "target" and that will tell you how much chlorine to add. Make sure you've put your pool size in "size" so you get the right information.

CH that high could cause clouding and possibly scaling. You should test your fill water and see how high it is. If it's not too high, you could do a partial drain and refill, but I think you could manage it at that level. You'll need to watch your pH and TA to avoid scaling.

loughps said:
Any advise on how much bleach to put every hour?

You need to test your FC, put that in the poolcalculator for "now" and put your target in "target" and that will tell you how much chlorine to add. Make sure you've put your pool size in "size" so you get the right information.

CH that high could cause clouding and possibly scaling. You should test your fill water and see how high it is. If it's not too high, you could do a partial drain and refill, but I think you could manage it at that level. You'll need to watch your pH and TA to avoid scaling.

Thanks loughps. Here's what I did. I went to the poolcalculator, entered 24,000gal, then I entered my target FC to shock which is 10, I entered my current FC which is 3.5. It said to put 324 oz of 6% bleach. I did that about an hour ago. So are you saying to go ahead and check my FC again and enter the new FC in the poolcalculator again to determine how much bleach to put in the next hour? Does this mean I have to check the FC everytime I add chlorine? I promise I will get this. :-D

I did that about an hour ago. So are you saying to go ahead and check my FC again and enter the new FC in the poolcalculator again to determine how much bleach to put in the next hour? Does this mean I have to check the FC everytime I add chlorine? I promise I will get this. :-D

Yes. Yes. You got it!!! After you test, that is your new "now". When you're done shocking and have gotten to know your pool, you'll may just know what to put in your pool, but I personally test nightly and add what I need to based on my current reading.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You may want to test once in the middle of the day to see if it's come back down and bring it back to shock level then. The only way to get rid of uninvited guests is to hold it at shock level until they're all gone. Sometimes it takes a day, sometimes it takes longer, but it will work. This is when you need some patience.

evalm2010 said:
...Does this mean I have to check the FC everytime I add chlorine?...
I love it when the :idea: comes on!

This shows how much the pool stores have pool owners blindly following their "advice" that it doesn't even occur that you should know what your levels are before adding something.

@ loughps, unfortunately, I'm at work and can't go home. Hopefully, it will only go down from shock level just a little bit until I get home tonight.

@svenpup, that's exactly what happened, the light bulb came on. I mean I still have a lot to learn but I wish I found this website before we went to the pool store. We just kept dumping stuff in there. The woman who sold us the test strips has this fancy machine where she inserts the strips and voila, it tells us what to get. I was so impressed I almost asked where I can get one of those.

Hi, it's me again. I thought I should do a report. My FC is 17. The good news is my CC has gone down to .5 :-D and I am hoping it will be zero by tomorrow. My question is should I wait for the FC to go down below shock level before I test and balance the PH and TA? Or can i do it now? When do I do the overnight FC loss test? The discouraging part is that i haven't seen a change in the cloudiness of the water. :( Do you think it's because of my high CH (630)?

Thanks again for the input.

Sunshine helps CC to go away.
FC needs to be less than 10 to get a good pH value on testing, so don't bother until FC < 10.
On 6/28 you tested TA = 90 and pH = 7.5, those are fine no need to alter that.

Wow, that is a high CH. But when I checked your values in the Pool Calculator I get CSI of 0.29 so that tells me that you are not getting scaling, I'd think that if the cloudiness was due to CH you'd have to be in scaling territory. Therefore, I'll guess that is just the algae that was in the water.

Are you running the filter 24/7? That will help clear it up eventually. And backwash as needed. Does that filter have Zeobright in it? I just read some posts about how someone reported that he did not get the expected pressure spike when using the Zeobright but the filter really did need backwashing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.