want to drive a wrecking ball through my pool!

passionsrlz said:
should I just be running the filter or should I hook up the vacuum? I thought it seemed rather pointless because it just stirs it all up.

and also I will have to bite the bullet and go get a good test kit. It wouldn't hurt to have one anyway.

Just keep running the filter. If you have a way to vacuum to waste that would be great. It may look terrible but keeping the gunk stirred up is good since that will allow it to be captured by the filter. Over time the water will start to clear and you will see progress. Don't be discouraged by the amount of time it takes to clear this up. Most of us have been in your shoes at one point or another and we understand your frustration. Soon you will go from this :rant: to this :party: !

I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. I can see the bottom of the pool, very clearly. I can also see what needs vacuumed up. I am assuming it is dead algae or dirt. My question is do I stop keeping it at shock level or do I continue. Also I have a chlorine dispenser attatched to my filter thats hooked to the pool, it hold bac pacs with chlorine tabs in it. Do I even need that? From reading it looks like it would add cya to my pool which I don't need. If I am reading everything correctly I should just leave that think empty. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Hi! Keep it at shock level until you pass the overnight test. Once you pass the overnight test let the FC fall to the recommended level for your pool using either the CYA/Chlorine Chart or The Pool Calculator. Keep running the filter, vacuum and clean the cartridge when needed.

I would ignore the chlorine dispenser. You are correct tabs will add cya to your water and you don't want to do that if you don't need it.

Your diligence is paying off! :goodjob:

Thanks for your advice. I still have to order the better test kit so I am unsure of overnight loss. I dillute the pool and test but I know that is not accurate either.I will do the best I can until I get a better test kit. I will continue on the same road. Thanks!

If you read the OCLT requirements you'll notice in the last requirement it states "when the pool is clear if you don't have a FAS-DPD kit" When your pool is crystal clear you can quit shocking even if you don't have a FAS-DPD test. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ahhaaa stupid Aqua Smart, that's what I thought. That's a re-branded version of the Pool Frog. You can read about them here:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/alternative-sanitizers-and-chemical-free-pools-the-truth-t3025.html

Do you already have bacpacs on hand? They are super expensive. The mineral cartidges that the bacpac inserts into are even worse. So if it has a mineral cartridge in there, you can insert the bacpac (if you have one already) if you were going on a vacation or something and need a way to add chlorine. Next year consider removing it from the plumbing line and tossing it in the trash.

A much simpler, less expensive and less troublesome method would be a plain old inline chlorinator or a floater with tablets. At least that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg and you won't risk the staining that comes with mineral ionzers like frogs, AS, and N2s.

Can you tell they are my pet peeve? LOL :wink: :mrgreen:

OK, noob question:

Understand you can't drain because of the liner, but why can't you use a pump to remove foul water while simultaneously adding new water at the other end, at least to get a third new water. I do understand your price of water is a factor because you will be removing new and old water with the pump. Most pumps have a 2" hose or larger so you would have to be carefule to watch the water level.

You mean a submersible pump? Sure you can use one if you had one and wanted to. I don't know how effective it would be as far as keeping the icky water at one end tho. Some people report having used giant tarp/plastic sheeting to separate the good from the bad while replacing water...

frustratedpoolmom said:
You mean a submersible pump? Sure you can use one if you had one and wanted to. I don't know how effective it would be as far as keeping the icky water at one end tho. Some people report having used giant tarp/plastic sheeting to separate the good from the bad while replacing water...

Not submersible but same function. Years ago I had a pump with small gas motor that used a black 2-3" hose that could be used to pump water out of a hole. It would move water pretty well and you get the outflow to a street drain (obviously depending on code - we can drain into the street if we call the city ahead of time.) There was no filter on the hose so it would move trash.

I'm reading on pool school and have my test kit on the way so hopefully I don't have to worry about it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.