Sodium Hypochlorite vs Available Chlorine

silver02gt

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 19, 2010
Rural Southern Illinois
Which of these two are the % that actually matter. A local hardware/lumber/farm store has 10% liquid shock for $2.50/gal, and I am wanting to compare the cost of that to the cost of the bleach at walmart. The bleach says 6% Sodium Hypochlorite, but I think it also says 5.25% available chlorine. So please tell me which of these is the percentage that matters when it comes to putting chlorine in my pool. Oh and also the 10% liquid shock says available chlorine of 11% if I remember right. Thanks in advance for all your help!!!!

The 10% is the better deal. Keep in mind tho the higher the % liquid the faster it degrades. Clorox 6% is pretty reliable. But for your situation I'd get the 10%, as long as it's stored properly. If they have it sitting on pallets outside in the sun/heat, I doubt it's 10%.

Bleach/liquid chlorine can be labeled in three different ways: % by weight, % available chlorine, and trade %. Bleach is most commonly labeled by weight, while liquid chlorine is most commonly labeled with the trade %. 6% by weight is 6.17% trade and 5.71% available chlorine.

All of the different ways of labeling the strength are fairly close to each other. And the actual strength can be different than what it is labeled (bleach "spoils" over time). So it is usually close enough to just ignore how it is labeled and just compare the percentages.

Awesome! Thank you guys very much! The liquid shock is on a pallet in cases of 4 in the store. I can't say where it was stored before, but the same could be said for walmart I guess. Thanks again. I'll load up on some of the liquid shock since I will really begin the 'turning your green swamp into a sparkling oasis" process as soon as my tf100xl kit comes in. Wish it was here already so I could maybe swim by this weekend!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.