pH will not go down with Muriatic Acid

klroahs said:
Do I just let the chlorine settle itself down, or is there something I should do to correct it? I am sorry for this, I am trying to get my numbers closer to what you have here than the stores' printouts.

Luckily, I measured the final FC after dark, so I will still see if it drops overnight.
Just let it settle down on its own.

Did you turn off the SWG? If it's on during the night, that invalidates the overnight FC test.

Re. overshooting the FC numbers, there are a couple of things that might be going on...

If you used 0 for "now" and it really wasn't, then you'd end up adding too much. (And I ain't sayin' why this particular goof occurred to me, nope.) But you want to test your FC before you go figuring out how much to add, so you know where you're starting from.

Or, your guess for the gallons is too high. It's easier to figure that out when you're not shocking the pool, so let's make sure you don't need to do that first.
--paulr

I missed these page 2 replies

matpat, I did match the strengths of the Muriatic acid with the calculator
Butterfly, 31.45% 20o, and
PaulR, I have let it settle down, but it just keeps settling, I added bleach so that it went up to 11.5, is has slowly found its way back down to 1.0, with my SWG running at 60% 12 hours a day at ~90 degress F in no shade.

I have gotten a handle on my pH, now that I know I have to watch it closely.

I have guessed that I needed more stabilizer, which I have added to my skimmers tonight (using the sock method). My eyeballing it with the the TF100 test makes me think it is anywhere between 40-70 (OK, maybe closer to 45). What concerns me is why can't my SWG keep it even after I add bleach? Is it standard to have to add bleach every week with a SWG?

I appreciate the welcome and help all of you have so graciously given me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.