Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: test numbers - what do they mean?

1. Back To Top    #1

test numbers - what do they mean?

Hi!

I've been doing BBB since last summer and my pool looks great. My husband (who's a bit of a geek) has taken an interest in the testing and wants to know what the numbers mean. I can't explain it, I just feed the numbers into the pool calculator and do what it tells me to do. Will someone explain what the numbers mean? The pool numbers are out of whack this week and I'm adjusting for it. But why am I doing what I'm doing? You idiot-proofed BBB so I don't have to have a deep understanding, but my husband wants to understand the underlying chemistry. Thanks!!

FC 1
    CC .5
    TC 1.5
    pH 6.8
    T/A 30
    CH 50

Chris and Ed

33000 gal inground concrete and plaster pool (1974), original PacFab PF-50 sand filter with stainless steel, centrifugal pump
    Note: pool, pump and filter leak a bit so we replace a little water daily from a 35 foot well that is used only for pool and irrigation of lawn and garden...well water is untreated (not chlorinated or filtered).
    20x40 40K gal concrete pool, GE pump, sand filter, 40 years old (approximately)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: test numbers - what do they mean?

PS

He's read Pool School, but wants to understand more.

Chris

3. Back To Top    #3

Take a look at the ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry. That has a good overview.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I don't think BBB is idiot proofed either because without knowing what those numbers mean you can't do it.
    10,000 gallon
    Viking Freeform Fiberglass Inground Pool. FNS Plus DE Filter Pentair Challenger .75hp pump

NC KANSAS44

5. Back To Top    #5

Then why does it work for me??

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

To get back to your original topic, why don't you ask your husband to come on to the forum and ask what he wants.....he'll find this a very friendly place.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School