Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vinyl liner: must it "touch" everywhere?

1. Back To Top    #1

Vinyl liner: must it "touch" everywhere?

I had a vinyl liner pool built last year and have been using it only for the last 2 weeks. Today, I noticed that the liner doesn't touch the concrete / metal everywhere. Where the wall meets the concrete floor, the stretched liner makes a curve in there instead of completely touching the wall and the bottom. We're talking about 2" horizontal, 2" vertical and that's pretty much everywhere in my shallow end.

My gut feeling tells me that the liner is stretched too much and that I'll end up with liner problems there in a few years instead of the usual 10 - 15 years that a liner should last.

Am I right or am I worrying for no reason?
    19.5k gallons in ground, P4 panel with turbocell SWG, 1hp Hayward superpump II, sand filter, Heater low nox 250k btu heater, solar cover on rocky roller

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Vinyl liner: must it "touch" everywhere?

are you trying to say that below the water level the liner is not touching against a surface? If so then yes that is way too tight.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, that's exactly what I am saying. I'm curious to see how the pool builder will handle that..
    19.5k gallons in ground, P4 panel with turbocell SWG, 1hp Hayward superpump II, sand filter, Heater low nox 250k btu heater, solar cover on rocky roller

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I may have read over your post too quickly. around the cove (where the wall meets the floor) especially in the shallow end the liner won't be exactly in the cove. Try to get a picture the best you can, regardless a better way to try to figure out if it's too tight is if you are actually able to walk on that tight area if you are close to the wall. The wall and floor should be supporting most of the liner but a small curve is normal.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com

5. Back To Top    #5

Here are some pictures I took:

Side where ground meets wall quite well:

Other side, where I can feel a good 2" horizontal and 2" vertical where it doesn't touch (ie: the curve). I can walk on it and feel it (but I avoid doing that, it's too close to the wall and I'm afraid the liner will rip):

Is there a rule of thumb about what's ok and what's not? At least that's in the shallow end so it's not as bad. I'll contact the liner manufacturer tomorrow and will then have a chat with my pool builder but I'd like to have all the ammo required before dealing with him. I just hope that I'm worrying for no reason..

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

it doesn't look too bad, based off that wall seam everything seems to be within normal parameters. It looks okay based on those pictures.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks a lot for the info Kevin! I'm still waiting for my pool builder to come and check it but I'm definitely not worried now. He needs to check a few other minor things anyways..