Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Borates or Salt

1. Back To Top    #1

Borates or Salt

Either adding Salt to a non SWG pool or borates? Which is preferred to obtain the soft silky feel of the water. I understand both would be best but if you had to done one which one?
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' Kidney painted concrete pool; Hayward super pump, Hayward pro Grid 3620 DE filter(using Fiber Clear). No Heater. 250 gallon stand alone Jacuzzi hot tub .

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Borates or Salt

I asked the same question...and the consensus was...whatever you prefer! So I looked at prices...since the BBB method is here to save us money. I decided to go with the salt, it was less expensive in the long run.
    I'm going out today to buy my 12 bags of salt!
    28,000 IG Free Form Gunite with quartz finish
    Pentair Quad DE filter, Intelliflo VS+SVRS
    Polaris 280, Sta-Rite 400K Heater-Propane

3. Back To Top    #3

I am targeting 1800 PPM so for me it's 6 bags
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' Kidney painted concrete pool; Hayward super pump, Hayward pro Grid 3620 DE filter(using Fiber Clear). No Heater. 250 gallon stand alone Jacuzzi hot tub .

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

The water may or may not feel better to you, regardless of which you use.

From reports here on the forum, I would say probably more than half report an improvement but perhaps not much more. It seems to be pretty subjective so taking the least expensive path may not be a bad thing.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Are you saying it might all be in the HEAD?

6. Back To Top    #6

ok, Added some salt today will add more Wednesday if needed, I am targeting 1800-2000 PPM... Used the Morton crystals, dissolved very quickly. About how long before I can get a accurate reading 24hrs? Will leave the pump running tonight.

mid day prior to salt
    FC 4 Target 6
    TC 4 Target 6
    PH 7.5
    TA 110
    CH 220
    Borates ?

Going to try borates in the hot tub.(Borax and Acid route)..Can I use a PH down in place of acid when adding Borax? Should i bring the PH down to 7.0 prior to adding?

Pool store mentioned gentle Spa which is the same as Supreme plus!

Perhaps i will add to pool later in the year!

7. Back To Top    #7

Please don't post the same thing in more than once place. JasonLion
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

The advantage of Supreme Plus or Gentle Spa is that you don't need to add acid. For pool quantities, people seem to find it cheaper to buy straight boric acid from a chemical supplier.

In the spa, I wouldn't bother lowering pH to 7.0 first; you should start at the pH you want to maintain, and if you measure the chems correctly, the end result should be pretty close. Seems to me in principle you should be able to use pH Down (dry acid) instead of muriatic but the Pool Calculator won't calculate that for you.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR
    Seems to me in principle you should be able to use pH Down (dry acid) instead of muriatic but the Pool Calculator won't calculate that for you.
    The Pool Calculator in the pH adjustment section does list "dry acid" amounts by both weight and volume in addition to Muriatic Acid.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

10. Back To Top    #10

The borate section doesn't show/allow you to select dry acid, because using dry acid is not recommended. Using dry acid in those quantities adds a lot of sulfates to the water which can cause problems for SWG cells and possibly plaster. Dry acid is also enough more expensive that using boric acid is less expensive (and much simpler). If you are concerned about price you should use borax and muriatic acid. If handling muriatic acid bothers you, or you want convenience, you should switch to using boric acid instead.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

sorry about posting in both places...

Boric acid? Where can this be found? Not good for pets correct?

12. Back To Top    #12

Boric acid is available on the Internet at places like The Chemistry Store and Duda Diesel. It is also sold in pool stores under a variety of brand names, like ProTeam Supreme Plus, Haviland Salt Support, and Omni/Guardex/Simplicity Maximizer.

13. Back To Top    #13

ok, thanks... i know Supreme plus.

14. Back To Top    #14

Lost 5ppm Cl after adding salt and letting pump run 24hrs????

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Lowertc
    ... Boric acid? Where can this be found? Not good for pets correct?
    Borates in general are not good for pets, regardless of whether they come from boric acid or borax or proteam or _____.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

16. Back To Top    #16

As long as the pets aren't getting the majority of their drinking water from the pool they will be fine. Pets should be trained not to drink pool water anyway.

17. Back To Top    #17

think i'm going with the salt first.... I'm trying to balance TA and PH before adding borates...eventually i'd like both...
    1) 22,000
    2) Cartridge Filter
    3) IG
    4) plaster/pebble
    5)pump: flow rate of filter:

18. Back To Top    #18

I'm going the Borates route first as it apparently helps with eradicating the backswimmers

Then I'll get an Intex SWG for the salt.

Pool details:
    14613 Gallon AG Round
    Filter: Pro-Clean PCCF200 with Cartridge Filter. Pump: Century LASAR 2.5 HP with High and Low setting

No longer being ripped-off by the Baquacil pimps thanks to TFP.

19. Back To Top    #19

i changed to salt his year with a chlorine generator

i love it
    16x32 Vinyl Inground
    Haywad EC-65 DE filter
    Intelliflo VF Pump
    Intellichlor ic-40 chlorine generator
    Solar Panels