Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: To use a breaker or fuses

1. Back To Top    #1

To use a breaker or fuses

I've two 30A fuses in a pullable block in the Square D, QO line, panel controlling the 240 VAC power to pool and pool sweep pumps.
    IS there some requirement that these STAY fuses rather than be changed to breakers?
    Say a 2-pole 30Amp breaker?
    The fuses may be time delay types. Don't remember.
    Thanks!
    ~29K gal, 20'x36' rectangular, outdoor IG plaster, built in '74. Intelliflo VF; Sta-rite system 3 w/300sq ft. Liquidator 8Gal-3/8ug; Polaris 380 sweep & PB4 booster. Equip. is in shed on ground level pad.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: To use a breaker or fuses

No, you can use breakers. I used a GFCI breaker in mine, but that's not a requirement either.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

I am fairly sure GFCI is now a requirement as of the 2008 NEC, which may not yet be adopted in some areas.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1
    I am fairly sure GFCI is now a requirement as of the 2008 NEC, which may not yet be adopted in some areas.

Ike
    Only for bedroom circuits and some wet locations, not the entire panel, yet.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

And it doesn't have to be a breaker either. An inline GFCI device is fine.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Also, in case it matters, this electrical panel is in pool equipment shed near pool. Not the house's panel. It's fed by breakers from house.
    My understanding is that GFCI breakers can be problem w/ big motors and that GFCI not needed unless have open outlets, which I don't on this circuit.
    AFCI are what's called for in all bedroom ckts. GFCI on bathroom, kitchen, outdoor & garage ckts w/ outlets having a splash risk.
    Thanks!
    ~29K gal, 20'x36' rectangular, outdoor IG plaster, built in '74. Intelliflo VF; Sta-rite system 3 w/300sq ft. Liquidator 8Gal-3/8ug; Polaris 380 sweep & PB4 booster. Equip. is in shed on ground level pad.

7. Back To Top    #7

I looked around. It appears NEC does now require GFCI's on pool pumps. My 2004 pool does not have them (on the pump) and your local authority may not have adopted this NEC at this time.

Pool Pump Motors

According to 680.22(B), all 15- or 20-ampere, 125-volt or 240-volt, single-phase outlets supplying pool pump motors are required to be provided with ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel. GFCI protection for pool pump motors is required whether supplied by receptacle or direct connection. GFCI protection for pool pump motors has not always been required for a direct connection, but the NEC now requires GFCI protection for these motors whether cord-and-plug connected or hard-wired. It should be noted that 680.22(B) applies to these pool pump motor outlets regardless of their location from the inside edge of the swimming pool.
    http://www.iaei.org/magazine/?p=2991

With PVC plumbing and bonding in place, and my experience with problematic GFCI's in outdoor locations, I would personally not put these on a hard-wired pump unless the AHJ (Authority Having Jurisdiction in electro-speak) said I had to. I get lots of lightning on top of a hill and those things are always tripping out in a big storm. I am not an electrician but I have done my own wiring for forty years.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

8. Back To Top    #8

Are your lights for the pool from the same circuit? Are your lights 120V? Either way, anything short of an RCD/GFCI is precarious. Fuses are the worst of the lot.

Steve
    Mark Stinson
    Woodland, CA
    IG 12,545g Gunite/Plaster with attached spa, Hayward Northstar 3HP pump, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420
    Alas, I have no heater for my spa (yet)! :-(

9. Back To Top    #9

Ironically, there is the obligatory pool power disconnect box nearby the pool that uses the QO breaker to feed the power to the pool shed where it then goes through the fuses.
    I'm going to change the dual pole fuse pack to a QO dual pole breaker. I may try a GFCI version in the pool side disconnect.

Good news is that the pool light is ALREADY on a separate ckt with a GFCI breaker.

Thanks much everyone for the feedback and great research on the topic!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by bk406
    Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1

Ike
    Only for bedroom circuits and some wet locations, not the entire panel, yet.

What you say is true of the 2005 NEC, take a look at the 2008 changes, either AFCI, GFCI (in wet locations) or combo AFCI/GFCI is now required in almost all living spaces (examples given in the NEC include areas like halls and stairways in addition to living rooms bed rooms,etc.) and outdoor spaces. About the only exceptions are for dedicated refrigerator outlets in the kitchen and outlets in non living areas like attics, etc.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

11. Back To Top    #11

Havent seen that yet

As of april, 2008, we were still under the old code in the town where i live in massachusetts. Thats one of the quirks with the NEC. Different towns/states can be on different versions at any given time.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.