Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Haward Super Pump Humming

1. Back To Top    #1

Haward Super Pump Humming

After opening the pool this week I noticed that the pump occasionally hums and the impeller fails to turn when started. The unit shuts itself off after about 15 seconds due to, I suspect, overheating. I replaced the capacitor and the issue remains unresolved. If the motor is gently tapped when it is humming, the motor starts.
    Is the motor toast and if so any recommendations for a replacement?

Thanks,
    Andy
    20k white plaster with blue quartz, IntelliFlo VS, Quad DE 100
    1000 gal spa with natural stone waterfall
    Beach entry with 2 bubblers. Pool built Spring 2013

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Haward Super Pump Humming

Sounds like the start switch. It'll be right at the back of the motor if you pull the cover off (after turning off the power!). You can try to sand the contacts a bit and lubing the pivots with dielectric grease. don't use too much though. Or you could take it to a motor shop and have them replace it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I had to replace a burned out motor on a 1.5 hp super pump about a month ago, the replacement was an AO Smith labeled motor from Pool Plaza in Texas, I don't know if they have the best price, but it was better than a couple of other places I checked, and the shipping was very fast ( I ordered around 3 pm one day and it arrived here the next, they are in Dallas about 300 miles away). It was easy to swap out, maybe 30 minutes tops, no need to unhook any of the plumbing.

Ike.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the speed replies. I'll try cleaning the start switch and take it from there.

Andy
    20k white plaster with blue quartz, IntelliFlo VS, Quad DE 100
    1000 gal spa with natural stone waterfall
    Beach entry with 2 bubblers. Pool built Spring 2013