Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Aqua Smarte 5720 help needed....

1. Back To Top    #1

Aqua Smarte 5720 help needed....

I purchased my home 3 1/2 years ago with the pool and it's equipment included. I have been able to find, troubleshoot, and repair most of the equipment through online research. However, I cannot find my chlorinator listed anywhere online! It is leaking from the back retainer area. It appears that this in considered the Control Dial Locking Pin (according to a newer model, the 6700, I found online). I think I just need to replace the rubber o-rings and find a replacement locking pin (the one that does in there went missing recently somehow). Any advice?
    12k gallons; AG round 21'x 54"; Cartridge filter; Magnetek Century LASAR 1081/1563 (1.5HP ?) Pump; 28GPM flowrate Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Aqua Smarte 5720 help needed....

Your Aqua Smarte is a mineral ionizer that uses trichlor bacpacs.
    Rather than try to repair the unit, I'd either replace it with a regular inline chlorinator and ditch the "aqua smarte" system entirely - you don't need it - and it's expensive. Have you been replacing the mineral cartridges?
    You can read about mineral systems here:
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/alter...uth-t3025.html
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

You must be thinking about a different version of this system...maybe the 6700 series. Mine is a hollow interior with a screw on cap. Instead I put 3" chlorine tabs inside of it. I have attached some photos of it for you to check out...[attachment=0:21i2vuwl]IMG00040-20100509-0809.jpg[/attachment:21i2vuwl]

These pics were taken before I rebuilt a lot of this system...but the chlorinator remains unchanged.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    12k gallons; AG round 21'x 54"; Cartridge filter; Magnetek Century LASAR 1081/1563 (1.5HP ?) Pump; 28GPM flowrate Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

As you can see, this is not one of those alternative sanitizers....it is a chlorinator, I keep it half full of 3" chlorine tabs at all times. Any suggestions or comments?

5. Back To Top    #5

Has anyone got any advice and/or suggestions?

6. Back To Top    #6

Nope same thing - the mineral cartridge may not have been inserted when you took over the pool? According to their website/owners manual, the 5720 is the same kind as what I was referring too.
    https://www.gpspool.com/customer/gep...stallation.pdf

You were just putting tablets directly into the hollow interior? I wonder if someone altered it... was it used this way when you took over the pool?

Anyway, King Tech is the manufacturer, if you want replacement parts you can try contacting them.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

7. Back To Top    #7

I'm not sure this is gonna help but Lowes usually carries an assortment of o-rings and cotter pins. You could take the chlorinator apart and see if you could match the o-ring and try to find something to use as the retainer.

The closest thing I could find is on the King Technologies website. Call them they might be able to help you out. Personally I'd ditch the Aqua-Smarte system and go with a liquid chlorine feeder or a SWCG.

FPM and I were searching & typing at the same.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

lol Thank you FPM and BR....i appreciate the solid efforts on your parts to help. I actually came across the O-ring assortment today at a hardware store and am keeping an eye open for possible replacement retainer pin solutions. As far as the Aqua Smarte goes, I just started using it this way, never saw inserts....the chlorine tabs are going somewhere! lol

9. Back To Top    #9

Alright, well now i must reach out to clarify some things as i am new on this site:

1) Is using chlorine 3" tabs through my makeshift feeder acceptable with the BBB methodology? I still have a 50 pound tub to go through....
    2) Considering the above mentioned chlorinator (Aqua Smarte used without bacpacs), is it okay to use it this way??? I,e. Effective and harmless?
    3) I use DiChlor shock bags whenever the weather is bad, but it looks like you guys frown upon these....Is liquid bleach a better alternative for such instances?

R/R TJ

10. Back To Top    #10

The issue with both trichlor and dichlor is that they both add CYA. Eventually, your CYA level gets too high and you have problems.

One of the important principals of BBB is knowing what things do and using them appropriately. If your CYA level is too low, using trichlor and/or dichlor can make sense. But if your CYA level is already high enough, or worse getting too high, then using trichlor or dichlor is a mistake.

The Aqua Smarte system does two things, add "minerals" and hold trichlor packs. The "minerals" are actually metals, like copper and zinc. Copper can stain blonde hair green and both copper and zinc can cause unsightly metal stains on the pool. Because of that we don't ever recommend using metals in the pool.

Bleach/liquid chlorine is nice because it doesn't add anything significant besides chlorine. You can use bleach for as long as you want and not have some other level get too high. It is more carrying, since the water in bleach increases the weight significantly, but it is usually less expensive than the alternatives.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School