Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Backwash and waste water disposal

1. Back To Top    #1

Backwash and waste water disposal

At a meeting I was informed that disposing of backwash and waste water to a creek or storm water drain is illegal for commercial pools. I am hoping someone could give me feedback on this. The same person making the statement said the water should now be sent to the sewer line. Myth or Truth and any particulars would be appreciated.

Pool is in North Carolina and is a chlorinated cartridged filter system and for subdivision use only.

Thanks,
    Mac
    Pool Size 27,500
    DE 60 Gal Filter
    Free Form IG Plaster
    1.5 Hp Pump
    Blue Diamond Robotic Cleaner w/ Remote
    SWG
    Homemade Water Fall using local found Rock

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Backwash and waste water disposal

This varies from place to place, sometimes by state, sometimes by county. You should check with someone locally if you can, or perhaps some from your area will respond. I do know that sewer only is true in some places, but I am not familiar with the rules in North Carolina.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Your signature says DE filter; is that correct? It's more likely to be true with DE filters, since dry DE is really bad for the ole' lungs.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I am not aware of any restrictions for pool water waste (residential) in NC. There may be, but I am not aware of them.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

All,
    Thanks for the info so far. I have also dug a little further into the issue. In North Carolina there is no law governing the recirculation water disposal for now. However after talking to some Commercial Builders it seems that most Commercial Pools are now built with the disposal water going to the sewer. However the department that does the inspections says that is not an inspection issue. Who knows though as some municipalities may have a different set of rules.
    Thanks
    Mac
    Pool Size 27,500
    DE 60 Gal Filter
    Free Form IG Plaster
    1.5 Hp Pump
    SWG

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun
    Your signature says DE filter; is that correct? It's more likely to be true with DE filters, since dry DE is really bad for the ole' lungs.
    That is something I had never thought of but makes sense. One thing I have found that may or may not come to be true is those like me with DE or maybe sand that have to backwash may be required at some future date to treat the water before it enters any disposal. It seems it may be more about the cleaners and clarifiers that are in the water though rather than the chlorine itself.
    Thanks for your reply
    Mac
    Pool Size 27,500
    DE 60 Gal Filter
    Free Form IG Plaster
    1.5 Hp Pump
    SWG