Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmer Basket Floats out when pump is off.

1. Back To Top    #1

Skimmer Basket Floats out when pump is off.

My skimmer basket floats out of the skimmer basket opening when the pump stops.
    I currently use two tie-wraps sticking out of the sides in a loop to catch under the skimmer ledge. Is there a weight I should be placing in the basket to keep it down?. What would the weight be made of? The dealer (Leslie's) said they all float. If the basket does not seat itself the weir door can not move down when the pump starts. Seems like a bad design to not have some sort of latch.
    12 foot round above ground 48" deep. 1 HP paper filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Skimmer Basket Floats out when pump is off.

I put a rock in mine. Very effective and the price was right!
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I know mine does not have it, but I have read here that sometimes if you turn it a little it may lock in place. If not a small rock will work well. You do not want to big of a rock in case you forget to take it out your pump will not work as well due to the possible blockage with the rock.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4

Heh, I use a rock in mine as well. I actually have two baskets, one seems to be of a heavier material (more rubbery) that sinks. Unfortunately, that has cracks in it so I bought some replacement Hayward ones from Leslie's and they float! They never seat properly on their own so I looked around, picked up a rock, threw it in the basket, problem solved!
    15x24 Vinyl AG
    1.5 HP Hayward PowerFlo Matrix Pump
    Hayward EC50AC DE Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Just make sure that the rock is too large to fit down the skimmer pipe. You'll drop it eventually.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6

I use the rock method.
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

7. Back To Top    #7

Same problem with my in ground pool.

+1 for the rock method. Works perfectly.
    TFP SUPPORTER through TFTestKits.com - My Pool: South Florida, 11K gallons, In ground, concrete / Diamond Brite, Free Form with attached spa (no heater- go figure) Built around 1998, original surface, Jacuzzi Magnum Force 1.5HP pump, Jacuzzi Cartridge Filter, Rainbow 320 Tablet Feeder, Hayward Navigator Pro, Taylor K-2006 w/ TFTestKits replacemeng Reagents.

8. Back To Top    #8

I made little weights for my skimmer baskets. Here's how...

Get you some 3/4" PVC pipe and cut about a 3" section of it. Using primer and cement, cap one end. Then, fill the pipe full of BB's. After that, seal the other end with a cap using the primer and cement. Then, take a couple of zip ties and secure the little weight that you just built to the bottom of the basket. I put mine on the bottom of the basket on the inside, rather than the underside. That way, if the zip ties were to break, you won't lose the weight down the hole in the bottom of the skimmer. The weight will keep the basket from floating up when the pump is off. Problem solved!

It's important to use the primer and cement to seal the caps in place because you don't want water to make it's way inside the weight and rust those BBs.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Does the basket just float out? of is it being pushed up by a rush of water when the pump first shuts off?
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

10. Back To Top    #10

It just floats. I will see if the pump helps to forces it out.

11. Back To Top    #11

basket gets burped out once the pump stops - normal - use a rock - but make sure it's larger than the pipe as stated above - a small rock can get into your pump and break it pretty quick.

12. Back To Top    #12

Since pumps burp the basket out I am surprised there is not a latching system or it should come with a weight

13. Back To Top    #13

Seems we all solved the floating basket the same way! I had a small smooth oval rock until I lost it. Then I put a piece of broken brick pottery in there as it can lean against the inside of the basket and doesn't cover the bottom. I wouldn't go to a lot of trouble. Just find a rock that will weigh it down in there but not interupt the suction when the pump comes on. And remember to fish it out when you're emptying the basket. The original basket that came with the skimmer used to snap in. Sure miss that one!
    [center:3jp7r7gm]15'x25'x4' Oval Muskin AGP, blue vinyl liner, sunk 2 feet in ground with redwood decking. Approx 10k gallons. Hayward Perflex filter D.E. and Hayward 1.5 hp pump. One return line. Wedding cake stairs. (whew, hopefully that describes the pool!)[/center:3jp7r7gm]

14. Back To Top    #14

Or, you could spend $25.50 plus S&H for each basket and get a Pool Tool Zinc Anode (anti-electrolysis) Weight for Skimmer Basket (http://www.poolplaza.com/P-PTC-104A-3549.html). What a deal! Your rocks aren't anti-electrolysis.
    26K IG plaster pool, 2 Baker Hydro Skimmers (Model HS), 4 return jets (one plumbed with a PoolSkim surface cleaner), Hayward 1.5 6-way Multiport Valve (Sp710x-All), Polaris 380 w/ Polaris PB4-60Q Halcyon 3/4 HP Booster Pump, Pentair SuperFlo 1.5 HP (1.65 SFHP) Two Speed Pump (SF-N2-1-1/2A), Stainless Steel Hayward vertical DE 36ft2 filter (Duralon tank model DE3600), Purex CHD Pool Star light, 2 Intermatic mechanical time switches controlling the filter pump and booster pump, Hasa 8 gallon 3/8" Pool Liquidator Chlorinator, 1.5" return line with 3 x 1.5" suction lines, Austin, TX

15. Back To Top    #15

My rocks are anti-shark and cost $500 ea plus freight.

They work great, not a single shark in the pool yet.
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

16. Back To Top    #16

I have extras if anyone would like to buy some.
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here