Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: daily fc usage

1. Back To Top    #1

daily fc usage

I think I may be using to much fc through the day.

Here are my numbers last night.

Fc 8.5
    Cc.5
    Ph. 7.6 to 7.8 usually
    Ta 120
    Cya 40.

These my numbers have been pretty consistent every night. Did drop test just stortly after sun up and fc was 8.0. That should be good but Everytime I check at midnight when I get off work its been 1.5 to 3. Should I be using this much. Pool gets no shade all day and have had. Several kids playing at night but only for 2 to 3 hour
    Intex Easy set 18x48 pool
    Intex Sand Filter
    Intex SWG system
    TF100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: daily fc usage

Sunlight alone is going to use up around 5 ppm when starting from 8.5 with CYA at 40 (though this will vary somewhat from pool to pool). Plus, several kids for 2 to 3 hours will also use up a noticeable amount of chlorine. So, your results seem plausible even without any algae involved.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok so I'm good then. Just trying to find away to save money on bleach. I'm a tight wad. Could I change anything to make it use less
    Intex Sand Filter
    Intex SWG system
    TF100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by pitmanr2003
    Ok so I'm good then. Just trying to find away to save money on bleach. I'm a tight wad. Could I change anything to make it use less
    Get your CYA up and buy a SWG
    Clearwater, Florida

12,000 gallon kidney shaped gunite pool
    Pentair Whisperflo 3/4HP Pump
    Pentair CCP420 420sq/ft Cartridge Filter
    Pentair Intellibrite 5G 120V Pool Light

5. Back To Top    #5

Rising CYA to 60 is the simplest thing to try.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok may try that. Not a option for swg. It's a easy set pool and I haven't heard very good things about there swg systems. Not to mention one more thing to mess with. And I just got this stiff down. Lol. I'm going out of town for a week and plan on getting a floated. So the pucks should raise cya some.
    Intex Sand Filter
    Intex SWG system
    TF100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

What brand of bleach are you using? I have found that clorox works better than the off brand I was using. They were both 6%, but clorox seems to hold better and a plus is that it is cheaper.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

8. Back To Top    #8

Walmart cheap stuff. But its 6%
    Intex Sand Filter
    Intex SWG system
    TF100 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by pitmanr2003
    Walmart cheap stuff. But its 6%
    I have read people have good results with the great value brand. Not sure what the cost is, but at Sams in Texas, you can get 3 182oz jugs of clorox for 7.03+tax. I know the off brand I was using for the big jugs was around 2.54.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

10. Back To Top    #10

The intex swg $135 model 8110, works pretty well...there is a thread on them here if you google Intex swg
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

11. Back To Top    #11

The intex pumps/filters get bad reviews but the SWG units are actually pretty good for the money (the newest additions with the copper ionizer are what you call messing with a good thing and making it worse....) but if you can find the kind without the ionizer I'd go for it.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

12. Back To Top    #12

I may try it next year. Its not that big of a deal to add the bleach. I pay 2.54 for a 1.42 gal jug of walmart bleach. it last about a week and ive got it all balanced so I dont want to start over persay. But It sounds like a great idea for next year.
    Intex Sand Filter
    Intex SWG system
    TF100 test kit

13. Back To Top    #13

ok got home tonight at FC was at 1. i added enough stabalizer to get it to 60. Floating in sock right now in front of return jet. Hopefully this will make it better. If it still losing alot a couple days later Im going to up cya to 80 if you all think that would be ok. My pool never sees shade except at night.
    Intex Sand Filter
    Intex SWG system
    TF100 test kit

14. Back To Top    #14

Give yourself some time with CYA at 60 to get used to it as see how it is. You can take CYA up as high as 80, but there start being significant disadvantages. With CYA at 80, if you ever got algae it would take a huge amount of chlorine to get rid of the algae.