Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: So you think you've had your pool cleaner the longest?

1. Back To Top    #1

So you think you've had your pool cleaner the longest?

I'm on a quest for a very durable pool cleaner. This is a significant investment for me, and I want to get something that will last a long time. I thought a poll might help (I already tried a direct request for a recommendation). So ...

What is the longest period of time that you've owned and used the same pool cleaner?
    What make/model was it?
    When did you buy it?
    If it was repaired, did you work on it yourself or take it in?

Thanks!
    -----------------------------------
    26000 gal, in-ground, vinyl pool
    Hayward S200 sand filter, 1 skimmer, 2 returns
    BBB since the first month! :-)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: So you think you've had your pool cleaner the longest?

I have a Polaris 280 that is going on its forth season. Never had to repair or replace anything....yet. (Knock on wood).
    20x40 IG Vinyl, 1.5 HP Whisperflo, Sta-Rite System 3 (300) Sq. ft Cart
    Intellichlor IC40 SWCG, 125,000 BTU Pentair heatpump, Polaris 280
    7' IG FG Spa, 2 HP Whisperflo, Pentair Dynamic III Cart (100) Sq. ft

3. Back To Top    #3

I have a Letro Legend II. It is 7 yrs old. Some of the parts had worn out & we replaced them recently. The part list is at home (I don't have it with me) but they were small parts like the rings on the tail. (If someone wants to know what we replaced PM me & i'll let you know.)

My biggest complaint is the bag wears out about once or twice x yr. I have to purchase the new bag at abt $25 per bag. This is because the velcro connecting to the hose becomes detached (threads wear out). I don't know why they don't just use something like fishing line; corny I know, but dang it, normal thread just doesn't work in a pool part that is used for several hours x day and underwater at that.

I have finally learned to take the bag to a local seamstress and have her re-sew the connecting velcro back on with better thread.

Also the hose tangles like a phone cord tangles and we have to un-wind it. Minor issue in the big picture but little things add up.

All in all, after 7 yrs the little bugger is still hard working and collects the vast majority of debris in the pool. I have no other cleaner to compare it to. Hope this helps.
    Pool: (2003) IG Plaster 14,209 gallon (Water Surface 421 sq. ft.) ~ Spa: 18" raised kidney
    Triple spillway (Waterfall) ~ With 6' slide ~ Hayward's Goldline Controls Aqua Rite Digital Electronic Chlorine Generator (Salt System) ~ 40K Salt Cell ~
    ~ AquaLink RS -4 ~ Purex Whisper Flow 2 HP~ Aquatech 60 sq. ft. DE Filter Normal Pressure 22 # ~ MiniMax NT (Propane) Heater 400,000 BTU ~ Jandy Valve Actuator ~Letro Legend Cleaner ~ K-2006 & K-1766 Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4

I have a Polaris 180 that is at least 20 years old. I bought my house 11 years ago and it came with the pool, which was built by a previous owner in the 80's. Over the years I have replaced bearings, tires, floats, the top cover, and the housing to the backup valve, all on my own. I also had the booster pump replaced last year. It is well-built and easy to maintain. I keep waiting for it to break so I can buy a new one, but that hasn't happened yet.
    22k gallon IG Anthony free-form pool and spa with PebbleSheen finish, Pentair WFDS-8 WhisperFlo Full Rated Dual-Speed 2HP pool pump, Sta-Rite S8D110 System 3 Grid D.E. 53 sq. ft. pool filter, Raypak R406A 399K BTU cupro-nickel propane heater, Polaris 280 pool cleaner with 3/4 HP PB4-60 booster pump, Goldline Aqua Plus controller and SWG, Inter-Fab G-Force pool slide.

5. Back To Top    #5

I have had my Polaris 280 (Black) for more than 4 years. No repair needed yet, but the tires are looking a little worn. I have found that using two (2) bags and alternating them daily makes emptying much easier. With trees overhanging the pool (including one hackberry that sheds leaves constantly) I have to empty every day and emptying a dry bag is much more effective.
    31000 Gal IG L-shape w/ spa, Riversand finish (PebbleSheen clone)
    Jandy 60 sq ft DE, 2.5 HP (uprated) Stealth pump, Polaris 280 w/ booster, Jandy PDA PS4 controller

6. Back To Top    #6

It's sounding like Polaris models are the most reliable. Opinions?
    -----------------------------------
    26000 gal, in-ground, vinyl pool
    Hayward S200 sand filter, 1 skimmer, 2 returns
    BBB since the first month! :-)

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for asking and starting this thread. I've become completely frustrated with the Hayward Phantom. In less than 4 years I've put 3 manifolds and 2 gear boxes into the original unit, plus a new bag, tail and a few other parts (though the manifold is the main one)... it's been expensive and constant maintenance. The last time I replaced $225 worth of manifold and gear box was less than 3 weeks ago and it's malfunctioning again already. Yep, I'm venting. Thanks for this thread, I'm going to take the advice that seems obvious.... polaris.
    Inground -21,000 GAL - Vinyl
    Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter
    Hayward Super Pump - 1HP
    Hayward Chlorine Feeder
    Central Mass

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by coolhollowranch
    Thanks for asking and starting this thread. I've become completely frustrated with the Hayward Phantom. In less than 4 years I've put 3 manifolds and 2 gear boxes into the original unit, plus a new bag, tail and a few other parts (though the manifold is the main one)... it's been expensive and constant maintenance. The last time I replaced $225 worth of manifold and gear box was less than 3 weeks ago and it's malfunctioning again already. Yep, I'm venting. Thanks for this thread, I'm going to take the advice that seems obvious.... polaris.

We are fed up with having to fix Phantom every year as well. They told me ours needs $150 repairs this year again - for exactly same thing that was re-placed last year. So we are looking for new cleaner as well. Most likely Polaris. The question is 380 or newer 3900sport... Still thinking.
    25000 gallons kidney shape in-ground plaster pool
    10ft at deep end, diving board
    2 skimmers and 6 return lines
    Hayward DE6020 Pro-Grid 60-Square-Feet Vertical D.E. Pool Filter with 2" Hayward Vari-Flo SP715
    Hayward Super Pump 2hp Sp2615x20
    Hayward 3/4 HP Booster Pump Model 5060

9. Back To Top    #9

I've read a lot of posts about the Polaris and the consensus seems to be that the 280 is the best combination of "old" (tried and true) and "new" technology. That's the one I will probably buy when my 180 finally gives out. By the way, they still make the 180 so that should tell you something about how good that model was designed. The marketing materials seem to focus a lot on the number of jets in the cleaner, but for me, the single-jet 180 does such a great job of keeping my pool clean, I don't even own a regular pool vac. I just use the Polaris when I open my pool in the spring to clean up all the debris that's sunk to the bottom. After changing the fine silt bag three times, the pool is clean. (I use a mesh cover during the winter)
    22k gallon IG Anthony free-form pool and spa with PebbleSheen finish, Pentair WFDS-8 WhisperFlo Full Rated Dual-Speed 2HP pool pump, Sta-Rite S8D110 System 3 Grid D.E. 53 sq. ft. pool filter, Raypak R406A 399K BTU cupro-nickel propane heater, Polaris 280 pool cleaner with 3/4 HP PB4-60 booster pump, Goldline Aqua Plus controller and SWG, Inter-Fab G-Force pool slide.