Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Drain & refill dangers?

1. Back To Top    #1

Drain & refill dangers?

Ok, so I've been in my home for a year. Now that summer is approaching, I did a CYA test & it was through the roof, (over 100) & my chlorine is getting eaten away with the bright sun.

So instead of countering every bad chemical reading by adding more chemicals, and since I have no idea how old the water is, or how/if it was kept up, I figure a complete drain & refill would give me a fresh re-start for the summer and I'll know exactly what's in my pool water.

Here's my problem: I heard that, as the pool is draining, there's a danger of the pool plaster actually lifting off the ground underneath & creating a gap, so that when I refill, the weight of the water will crack the plaster.

Anyone heard of this happening? How often should an IG pool be drained & refilled?
    17,000 gal. IG pool with spillover spa, gunite/white plaster (approx15 y/o, replastered 10/2010), Filter Equipment installed 2007: Pentair CCP520 4-cartridge filter F/R 150, Pentair Mastertemp 250 Gas Heater, 3hp Pentair IntelliFlo Variable 8 Speed Inground Pump(installed 9/2011), and Proud lifetime TFP supporter!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Drain & refill dangers?

Draining issues are more common where high ground water is a problem. Your sig says Hi Desert... pretty dry there right now?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

OMG.. 94 degrees today. Very dry most of the year except for a couple weeks in the summer. 3500ft elev.
    17,000 gal. IG pool with spillover spa, gunite/white plaster (approx15 y/o, replastered 10/2010), Filter Equipment installed 2007: Pentair CCP520 4-cartridge filter F/R 150, Pentair Mastertemp 250 Gas Heater, 3hp Pentair IntelliFlo Variable 8 Speed Inground Pump(installed 9/2011), and Proud lifetime TFP supporter!!

4. Back To Top    #4

And just the normal rain season for So. Calif. this year. Nothing out of the ordinary.

5. Back To Top    #5

You are probably alright then. There is only a risk of the pool lifting up if the ground water table is higher than the bottom of the pool. At the same time, you probably don't really need to replace 100% of your pool water, so you could hedge your bets and leave perhaps 1/4 of the water in the pool as insurance.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok, thank you for your help. I had never thought of the water table being an issue. But I will check for sure before I drain.

7. Back To Top    #7

How about water restrictions? I thought that some parts of CA had limits on water usage. Or super high rates if you use a lot at one time.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

8. Back To Top    #8

Yup.. I'l be checking on that too. I already figured I'd be paying quite a bit for the refill. As of recent, L.A. is under pretty strict usage rules. But as far as I know, in my city, about 90 miles NE of L.A., there's water-saving incentives, but no water restrictions--yet. That may change in the summer months though.

9. Back To Top    #9

I'm surprised that Bruce (Simicrintz) hasn't jumped in here yet, so I'll give him a plug.

You might want to look into Reverse Osmosis treatment for your water. It might work out to be comparable with draining and refilling and none of the worries associated with draining.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Hmm.. Never heard of doing that for pool water. How would I get that done? Is it something I can do myself?

11. Back To Top    #11

The RO systems you can buy aren't designed to handle that kind of a load, so if you wanted to go that route, you'd have to have pros handle it.
    John

24' round Vogue AGP 12,000 gal. Flotec AT251001-01 1HP pump, Hayward S310T2 sand filter, Aquarite SWG T-15
    TF-100 (found at TF Test Kits) with Speedstir and Samplesizer

12. Back To Top    #12

Ok, thank you for the idea. Is this something that a regular pool service guy does? Or should I contact a pool contractor? Any idea of the costs involved?

13. Back To Top    #13

Coryoreo, Check my signature for more info on RO!