Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Converting In Ga.

1. Back To Top    #1

Converting In Ga.

Hi everyone. I've been reading alot of the posts here on TFP and made the decision to convert from Baquagoo. I started my conversion last Sunday and would have have been done maybe a day or two ago but my Mom has been in the hospital this week so I've been running back and forth.
    The only thing I have learned that I didn't see on any posts (probably just missed it somewhere) is if you have stairs, particularly the "wedding cake" type such as I, be sure to remove them from the pool before starting your conversion. My conversion has gone well but just couldn't get across the finish line. I did see something in another post mentioning crooks or nooks that baquacil could be hiding in when I thought about my steps. When I removed them they were caked in slime. Any way here are a few pics of my conversion.
    [attachment=2:37lak914]Baquacil Conversion 001.jpg[/attachment:37lak914][attachment=1:37lak914]Baquacil Conversion 002.jpg[/attachment:37lak914][attachment=0]Baquacil Conversion 003.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    24' Round - Hayward Sand Filter - 1.5HP Hayward Power Flo MatriX Pump - Intex SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Converting In Ga.

A few more pics.[attachment=2:3gc70i04]Baquacil Conversion 004.jpg[/attachment:3gc70i04][attachment=1:3gc70i04]Baquacil Conversion 006.jpg[/attachment:3gc70i04][attachment=0:3gc70i04]Baquacil Conversion 007.jpg[/attachment:3gc70i04]
    24' Round - Hayward Sand Filter - 1.5HP Hayward Power Flo MatriX Pump - Intex SWG

3. Back To Top    #3

Pictures!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

I thought in observance of Memorial Day, I'd post a pic of the little soldiers who gave all in my battle against baquagoo. God Bless our men and women in the military special those who truly gave all.[attachment=0:2acozf88]Baqacil Conversion 001.jpg[/attachment:2acozf88]

5. Back To Top    #5

Have a question. When I put my "wedding cake" steps back in, can I use regular play sand to weight in down or should I use filter sand($$)?

6. Back To Top    #6

Do a google search (bottom left corner) for "wedding cake steps" and they have been discussed often, from weighting them down to keeping them algae free....
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

7. Back To Top    #7

My conversion is complete! Thanks to this forum it was done in 6 days and is crystal clear. My grandkids thank you as they will be swimming this weekend. Armed with the info I learned here I went into my local pool store asking questions and quickly learned how little they know. Thanks Again!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by GaGT
    Have a question. When I put my "wedding cake" steps back in, can I use regular play sand to weight in down or should I use filter sand($$)?
    Instead of using bags of sand to weigh down the steps, my husband glued together PVC pipe & endcaps, filled with concrete. No more busted sand bags!!!!
    We got the idea on this forum last year. It worked great all last year and is still working this year!!!!
    Or: fill some of those empty bleach bottles with rocks & top off with some bleach/water mix. Those have worked well for me, too.
    12500 AGP 2HP Sand filter
    Five years on BBB & loving it!

9. Back To Top    #9

I had thought about trying to fill the empty bleach bottles with sand then ty-rapping the handles together.

10. Back To Top    #10

Looks awesome!
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

11. Back To Top    #11

Wow this looks awesome! You cracked me up with your bleach bottle soldiers! They fought a good fight! Salute!
    Converting from Baqua to BBB- June 30th 2010
    27,000 gallon 15'x 30' inground pool with vinyl liner. Hayward pump/ sand filter, Polaris 380 "robot".

12. Back To Top    #12

Just wanted to post an update, I have had a crystal clear pool all summer and I could not be any happier.

13. Back To Top    #13

19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School