Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: water level

1. Back To Top    #1

water level

We have not had any rain in about 5 days and we have had bathers about every day that is possible. Would it be normal to add more water to the pool? It seems that it is lower than normal. The pool was just installed in April. My wife is worried we are losing water because of a hole. What signs should I see (other than the obvious) if there was a hole in the liner? Do most people throw the water hose in the pool every now and then in the summer? Thanks.
    24' AGP
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump
    Hayward Pro Series S180T 150lb sand filter
    Intex 54601EG Krystal Clear SWG
    Diver Dave pool cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: water level

Do most people throw the water hose in the pool every now and then in the summer?
    Absolutely. I lose about 1/4" daily to evaporation. I'll lose 1/2" daily if I have swimmers.

You should keep your water level about 1/2 way up on the skimmers.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

If you have active swimmers or kids that splash a lot you will lose water that way. Add evaporation to that and no rain and yes you will need to top off the water every week or so. If you have a hole you may notice an area that is wetter or softer that doesn't go away on the ground near the suspected leak. One way you can check for a leak is to get a bucket and set it on a step inside the pool. Fill it to the pool's waterline with pool water and mark the level inside the bucket with a sharpie. Then mark the level outside the bucket with a sharpie. Let it sit undisturbed (no swimmers!) for 24 hours and compare the level inside and outside the bucket. If there is a leak the level outside the bucket will be measurably lower than the inside of the bucket.

Now if your pool has been filled since April and the level is just now getting noticeably lower my money would be on evaporation and splashout as the cause.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

That is what I was hoping (of course). My wife insists that there is a spot on one side of the pool that is constantly wet (but not directly next to the pool structure), but I tell her it is more than likely splashing causing it. Thanks for the info, I will pass it along to LOML.
    24' AGP
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump
    Hayward Pro Series S180T 150lb sand filter
    Intex 54601EG Krystal Clear SWG
    Diver Dave pool cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

I too lose water from evaporation. I usually keep an eye on one of screws of my skimmer. It's second from the top, almost directly in the middle. When I can see the screw - time to add more water til I can't see it anymore.
    10,408 gallon, 21' round, 52 in' deep AG, half in ground
    Artesian Clear Master Plus Sand Filter, Artesian Turbo King 2 hp pump, installed June 08
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    GEAUX TIGERS!
    Pics taken 2012
    http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad25 ... CN0606.jpg
    http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad25 ... CN0607.jpg

6. Back To Top    #6

You will be amassed of how much water you can loose just by evaporation. I did.

I am considering to have a solar blanket for this.
    31,000 liters concrete vinyl pool - 1hp pump - Monarch 85kg sand filter - 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 2 jets - safety fence - 12V leds lights par56 .[/i]