Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Baking Soda

1. Back To Top    #1

Baking Soda

I have never bought baking soda before. Where do you usually find this? I have seen it in the pool section at walmart, but from what I have read it is a little more expensive than where the baking soda is normally located. Also when you add it, is that done through the skimmer like you do stablizer, or shoudl I dissolve it in water and pour in the pool?

Thanks.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Baking Soda

Hello mynew pool,

At walmart you can find baking soda in the pool section or the baking goods section. Its the same stuff. Just be careful if you see it in the laundry soap aisle because these baking soda products are made for laundry and are listed as having fragrances etc. The cheapest of the baking sodas are usually on the baking goods aisle. As far as adding it to the pool, I usually broad cast the recommended amount in increments and then agitate it with the pool brush as the pumps are running in order to make sure the product is dissolved adequately.

Hope this helps.

Chris
    13,500 gallon free form Pebble Tec pool- 2 skimmers
    Pentair Intelli-Flow filter pump, Pentair Intelli-Super Flo booster pump, waterfall pump, Del Ozone Eclipse 1 generator, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge filtration, Nature 2 XG Clear Vision, In-line Chlorinator, Polaris 280, Raypack heater, and Color Logic LED lights.

Proud user of BBB, pool school, pool calculator, TF-100, and the advice of the friendly people here!

3. Back To Top    #3

Sam's Club or Costco are the best prices around here.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

I totally forgot about that JohnT

I recently purchased a 13lb bag of baking soda from Sams for around 5 dollars. Its easy to find since it has a nice big picture of a pool on the front of the package
    Pentair Intelli-Flow filter pump, Pentair Intelli-Super Flo booster pump, waterfall pump, Del Ozone Eclipse 1 generator, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge filtration, Nature 2 XG Clear Vision, In-line Chlorinator, Polaris 280, Raypack heater, and Color Logic LED lights.

Proud user of BBB, pool school, pool calculator, TF-100, and the advice of the friendly people here!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    Sam's Club or Costco are the best prices around here.
    I will have to check Sams Club next time I am there for bleach, since they have the best price on 3 pack of 182 oz clorox. Only 7.48 for a 3 pack.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by chris4150
    I totally forgot about that JohnT

I recently purchased a 13lb bag of baking soda from Sams for around 5 dollars. Its easy to find since it has a nice big picture of a pool on the front of the package
    Is it the orange bag like the one at walmart?

7. Back To Top    #7

That would be it.
    Lynn

16x38 FG, 20,400G, 1HP/2sp Tristar pump, Hayward 425sq ft cart. filter, Pro Logic4, SWCG, 3 returns, 2 main drains, 1 skimmer, 4 Pentair deck jets, Hayward Phantom pressure cleaner/booster pump, TF-100 of course :-)orthofish-s-pool-build-finally-t13179.html

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by orthofish
    That would be it.

Yep

9. Back To Top    #9

Do you add this through the skimmer or in the pool? I assume in the skimmer as most products like it aka borax is added through the skimmer or that is where I added it once.

10. Back To Top    #10

Adding baking soda through the skimmer is fine. Remove the skimmer sock, if you are using one, and add slowly enough that it doesn't pile up in the skimmer basket.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Adding baking soda through the skimmer is fine. Remove the skimmer sock, if you are using one, and add slowly enough that it doesn't pile up in the skimmer basket.
    Yes, do add slowly. I got a good scare once, when I had the over-sized one speed pump, with main drain restricted down, and poured it in so fast it formed a temporary plug in the line.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

12. Back To Top    #12

Honestly, baking soda dissolves so readily, I'm not sure why one wouldn't simply broadcast over the pool.
    18k gal inground, everbrite finish, 505 sq ft; 1.5 hp two speed whisperflow; rheem 5100ti 100k btu heat pump; 3 sheer descent falls; DE filter; swg (cell out and using trichlor for now)

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by no-mas
    Honestly, baking soda dissolves so readily, I'm not sure why one wouldn't simply broadcast over the pool.
    The only reason I can think of it that a lot goes into the air.

I only added it through the skimmer once. I had a similar experience, with temporary pipe blockage, putting borax in the skimmer.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

14. Back To Top    #14

Baking soda can be added almost any way you can imagine. However, I don't like to recommend distributing it across the surface of the water because then people start doing that with other chemicals where it isn't such a good idea.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School