Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: FrustratedPoolMom needs Assistance!

1. Back To Top    #1

FrustratedPoolMom needs Assistance!

Had to replace my pump, and I bought this one:

http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.co...round_pump.htm
    and I need the side discharge....it came with the discharge up on the top, and we can't figure out how to get it to rotate. The directions say to remove the "thru-bolts" on the motor and rotate it 90 degrees.... we can't figure that out! Aargh...

Any advice? We removed the faceplate screws but can't figure out how to access the "thru bolts"...if they are what we think they are. The faceplate doesn't seem to budge even tho the screws are removed, if we even need to remove them... are we missing something obvious?

Any tips or ideas...hoping to get this working tonight...
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: FrustratedPoolMom needs Assistance!

Gosh I sound almost desperate....
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

3. Back To Top    #3

The thru bolts go from the back of the motor all the way through to the impeller housing.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

John, I LOVE YOU!
    so loosen the screws that are on the back end by the switch?

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    John, I LOVE YOU!
    so loosen the screws that are on the back end by the switch?
    Yep.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6

Got it! Thank you John...
    thank you thank you thank you...LOL

7. Back To Top    #7

<<<<<....what JohnT said................and good luck!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

8. Back To Top    #8

When "clocking" a motor in the past, sometimes I've run into some that won't turn. It's the paint. Never done a pump motor, but I imagine it could happen. You may need to tap things gently with a plastic hammer. Or a block of wood. Something that won't dent the metal.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

Well....the saga continues. So it rotated easily. That drama was apparently the least of our worries...

Took over an hour to get the darn pump hooked up and it was leaking at the basket/pump union... finally figured out the o ring gasket was missing. I won't go into detail but lets just say the 45 minutes we spent trying to get everything "right" - it rivaled a scene from a Marx brothers movie... So I made sure the switch was off and we plugged it in, and it started even though it was in the "off" position. No difference between "off" and "low" speed! What the? Plus, air in the pump basket, can't figure out why.... anyway, switch it to high, and it makes a strange noise and shuts off, like a breaker trips. Suddenly, it turns on again, in low speed. We're just standing there doing nothing...thinking "its possessed"...

Try again, same thing... we realize something's not right and we're freaking out because we need this pump to work TONIGHT.

So we decide to take the end (where the switch is) off to look at the wiring. The Off wire is bent and out of position. We manage to get the wires where we think they should be, replace the cap and plug it in...seems to be working fine now....we'll see in the morning. I need this to go smoothly! Apparently I crack under pressure, LOL...

Thanks everyone

10. Back To Top    #10

LOL! Putting the frustrated back in FPM, huh? Glad to hear your exorcised the pump demons!
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

11. Back To Top    #11

Mike, I was stunned at how quickly that feeling of panic set in.... (there's more to the story-check your pms)

12. Back To Top    #12

Wow! I stand corrected..not frustrated pool mom, but panicked pool mom! and understandibly so!
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

13. Back To Top    #13

Glad you got it fixed Mom.

Have a great weekend.

I just found out that I'm going to have a home alone weekend; all neighbors, other three houses back in the woods near us, gone for weekend, and DH out of town. I'm going to be the only human here. I'm surely glad they don't have as many animals as we have or I'd be really busy.

If I didn't have so much work to do I think I could stir up some trouble. At any rate I feel pretty safe with all my dogs and neighbor's pit mix here too. Going to pay special attention to locking doors, though, and having doggies around me at all times. At any rate I'm going to get a big hunk of a steak to grill out and all the fixins for a baked potatoe and some really caloric desserts, like a banana split and Hagen Daz icecream. (DH, the carb nazi, and the cook, doesn't approve of potatoes and sweets.)

I just got up and closed the blinds; some we never close. I think I'll watch a scary movie tonight.

All, have a great weekend.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

14. Back To Top    #14

You too Alice.
    And thanks for the banana split craving...LOL