Power Pak I Pump is making loud ringing noise, fixable?

May 27, 2010
Hello all!

I have a Power Pak I Pump that I have had since I purchased my pool nearly ten yrs ago. Its working fine, but occasionally it has been giving off a high pitched ring that is almost intolerable to the ear. Is there a way to correct this problem, or is it a sign of the end? If it makes any difference I have a 5,000 gal. above ground. ANY help is appreciated!! :-D

I'm not there so I am not sure what might be causing the screeching. It sounds like a bad bearing. There is one in the electric motor that may be going bad. If that's the cause, I would buy a new pump as it is likely not worth fixing the old one due to it's age.

If you're handy you can try disassembling the unit and checking it out- this particular pump only has six screws holding the case together and then you're right at the motor. I have one of about the same age and so far the timer circuit has given up and it weeps a little at the impeller. It has been getting noisier each year. But it works, so until it quits or leaks excessively I'll keep using it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.