Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: leaking filter

1. Back To Top    #1

leaking filter

wondering if someone could tell me the possible causes of my backwash valve leaking. Water is constantly coming out the backwash hose even in the filter mode.

Thanks
    Overwhelmed
    Pool size: 15' X 48" AG vinyl liner, 5300 gallons, Hayward S166T filter and 1hp pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: leaking filter

Probably your spider gasket. Cheap, easy fix.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

cool will have hubby look into that tomorrow on his day off...thanks soo much
    Overwhelmed
    Pool size: 15' X 48" AG vinyl liner, 5300 gallons, Hayward S166T filter and 1hp pump

4. Back To Top    #4

forgot to ask...where is this gasket located?
    Overwhelmed

5. Back To Top    #5

if you take apart the screws that hold the valve top on (be careful, the top will spring up) you can remove the diverter. The spider gasket goes on this diverter.
    In-ground Filters Engineer
    Pentair Water Pool and Spa, Inc.
    www.pentairpool.com
    1620 Hawkins Ave
    Sanford, NC 27330

6. Back To Top    #6

When I take the top of the port off to replace that gasket, will water fly out of the top? Also where is the best place to find one of those gaskets?
    Overwhelmed

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jshinklin
    When I take the top of the port off to replace that gasket, will water fly out of the top? Also where is the best place to find one of those gaskets?

You need to make sure no water can flow from your return or skimmer. Plug them or close the valves. Shut off the pump and remove the handle and top. You can get the gasket at a pool store.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

8. Back To Top    #8

WOOHOOO i actually didnt have to replace the gasket, we plugged the lines, opened the top and it had a piece of sand on the gasket. We removed the sand and used a silicon water pump sealant, sealed the entire gasket and NO LEAKING now....thanks so much for all your help everyone!!!!! PS...still have cloudy water still keeping chlorine level at 25, just cant get the cloudy out..will continue to keep it high till it does clear.
    Overwhelmed