Pump Education

bigdave

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 14, 2007
Boise Idaho
I built my pool 3 years ago and what seems to be normal for me, might not be correct. After the pump turns off, the water goes back into the inlet side (pool strainer or drain) and the pump becomes partially full. Is this how it should work? Or should the pump filter basket always be at full capacity? I do see bubbles in the returns quite often. Could this be part of the issue showing itself?

It seems like it puts a lot of strain on the pump every time it turns on because it has to re-prime itself back to full pump action.

Also, how often do we check a sand filter? It has been three years and I was wondering if I should open it up and look at the sand level? It seems to be filtering the pool just fine, but didn't know the clean/replace schedule or even a checkup time.

YOu have an air leak....most likely on the suction side (you don't see any visible water leaks, do you?) somewhere between the skimmers and the pump.

Common places are the gasket that seals the pump lid, cracked or not completely glued joints, and the drain plug at the bottom of the pump strainer basket.

Find that air leak and your pump will stay primed and the bubbles will be gone.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.