Green Cloudy Water

Here are two new updated pictures from Laren's pool that show the water better.

Attachments

• pool 004640.jpg
    pool 004640.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 129
  • pool 003640.jpg
    pool 003640.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 129
Thanks all, my pool looks great this morning! I did add 37 ml of the clarifier. There's still a little green in the center of the pool and when I brush it clouds up. I will vac and backwash this morning. We have got the pool to this level twice before in the last 5 weeks and the algae comes back. Example: last Friday evening I shocked the pool to 24, Saturday and Sunday the pool looked good, I maintained a high shock level continuous since then and my green came back on Monday any suggestions? My test results this a.m. are

TC 18.5
CC 0
TA 165
PH 7.5
CYA 52

Thank you
Laurie

If you maintain FC at 4-7ppm and DO NOT LET IT GO BELOW THAT, I will be stunned if your algae returns. It is next to impossible for algae to get a foot hold in a properly chlorinated and circulating pool.

laren said:
T Example: last Friday evening I shocked the pool to 24, Saturday and Sunday the pool looked good, I maintained a high shock level continuous since then and my green came back on Monday

Are you saying you kept the pool at 24 for 3 days by frequent testing and redosing? and had a bloom anyway? or did you shock Friday, and do nothing on Saturday and Sunday?

When you shock, you need to be checking the FC frequently (2-3 times or more) during the day and boosting it back up as necessary. Is your FC holding overnight? do you have measurable cc's? (>.5ppm)

My typical recommendation for shocking (or when you can stop shocking):
a) your FC holds overnight,
b) you have 0 (or <.5) cc's, and
c) your water is clear (or at least not green. cloudy you can filter. Green you need to kill!)

I have seen others say when your FC holds overnight, keep it at shock level for another 24 hours.

In case you missed this point, when using bleach (or other manual method of chlorination) you need to test and add some EVERY DAY, preferably in the evening. If you are in the middle of a problem, the more times per day you can test and boost your FC the faster your problem will clear up. :)

Hi Grace, I shocked on Friday and did not add bleach until Sunday evening. The reason for this was my shock level was 18 and I brought it to 24 on Friday. On Saturday morning FC was 22.5, Sunday a.m. was 16.5 cc's 0. Sunday I shocked to 27 and haven't added any bleach since and my reading this a.m. is 18.5 cc's 0. The water looks good, there's a bit of green on the bottom which we are going to vac. Does the green indicate that the algae is still alive and the problem my return? If so, I'm really confused on what to do, I still have more FC than I need to kill the algae.

Thank you,
Laurie

The green indicates algae is still alive and well in your pool. You need to get your FC up and keep it there. Since it dropped overnight on Friday, you still have something consuming it. You may not register any cc's as the sun may be burning them off.
I think you had a really bad bloom, and it has just taken a lot of time to clear it. You sound like you are in the home stretch. I would add a bit more bleach to 18-20 now if you can, to try to negate the effects of the sun this afternoon, and again this evening after you vac. Test again in the morning and see if you have a drop.

Patience, grasshopper! ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The sock is disgusting! Last night I put the clarifier in the pool to help clump the algae and it worked. I think the algae was going through my sand filter and back into the pool.

I just tested the water again and my
FC is 18
cc's 0
PH 7.5
CYA 40 We backwashed then vac. then backwashed again refilling the pool each time. Would this cause such a drop in the CYA? this morning when I tested it was 52.

I added 96 oz. of bleach to shock level 24 to kill mustard algae. I will test again later.

Laurie

The various charts try to take that into account. Average your two readings, look that up, and you should be fine. There is a fair bit of flexibility in the required level, a little higher will kill things more quickly, a little lower will kill things more slowly, but both will work.

Laren, you are safe with keeping your "target" shock level near 20. According to chemgeeks CYA/chlorine chart a CYA of 42 and 50 would put you at shock levels from 16.0 and 19.8. Shooting for 20 should be good.

dan

Since you have had such a lengthy problem here, I might suggest to leave it high for another 24 hours, mostly since you say you are still getting green in the sock. Keep it high, and if it holds again tonight with no cc's and water still looks good, I'd let it drift down see what happens.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.