Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: HELP !! New installation...forgot my three way valve

1. Back To Top    #1

HELP !! New installation...forgot my three way valve

Installer finished today. I had a 27' round put in. A main drain was installed at my request and a three way valve was specified. The installer did not put a three way valve in. Instead, he used 1.5in ball valves coming from the skimmer and the main drain. Will this work? Pro's and Con's needed ASAP.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: HELP !! New installation...forgot my three way valve

Hmmm... that's odd. Can you post a pic, I'm sort of stuck trying to visualize it.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

Let's see.. 3 pipes. One to skimmer, one to drain, one to pump.

Instead of connecting the three with a three way valve, they are teed, with valves in the drain and skimmer lines, correct? Two valves to move to instead of one when you want to redirect, twice as much opportunity for leaks or freeze damage. Functionally, no different.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

that's exactly correct...now what to do?

5. Back To Top    #5

I guess my concern would have been trying to winterize the bottom drain but you probably don't winterize where you live?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

6. Back To Top    #6

Well, if you specified a 3-way valve, the PB should fix it! What you have will work OK, but it's not what he was supposed to do, especially if you paid for a 3-way.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome to TFP!!

Not a big deal! You're probably owed a few $ (hard to say how much without knowing what brand valves were used v.s. installed) - I doubt it's more than ~$20 and for that amount, I wouldn't make an enemy out of the PB but I would mention it - just so that he realizes that he owes you and that he screwed up

Honestly, you have the same versatility to control the flow from the 2 suction sources - it's just slightly different and may even be easier for you, as a new pool owner to understand and operate
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for all the responses. We do winterize here in upstate SC but maybe not to the level as some parts of the country. For winterizing I cover, gizmo in the skimmer, drain filter, drain pump, drain lines, cap return, shutoff breaker to pump. I had a 27' for 15 years that came with my house. I just had it replaced and it got put in today. Right now I'm not very happy about the 3 way valve or the distance they installed the new pool from my existing deck. I've got a lot of work to do.