Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is this a good price for bleach or chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Is this a good price for bleach or chlorine

meijer is selling a case (4- 1 gallon containers) of 10% pool sanitizer or bleach or chlorine ( gets us guessing ) for $9.99
    I was thinking if this was better deal then buying the bleach at 6% I going to check to see what the price for a gallon of the 6% bleach was but didnt have time
    thanks
    28ft round AG 52" high 18,500 gals, Hayward ASL cartridge filter, Hayward single speed 1 1/2 hp pump, 2-4 x 20 fafco solar bear heaters, TF100 test, BBB

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is this a good price for bleach or chlorine

Still seems high compared to my local pool store at 2.5g of 10.5% for $4. That said, if it's convenient and you aren't using a lot, seems like it would be a decent deal.
    Clearwater, Florida

12,000 gallon kidney shaped gunite pool
    Pentair Whisperflo 3/4HP Pump
    Pentair CCP420 420sq/ft Cartridge Filter
    Pentair Intellibrite 5G 120V Pool Light

3. Back To Top    #3

It all depends on where you live. That would be a pretty good price for chlorine in my area. Not quite like the $3.00 per gallon I get, but pretty close. Assuming the 10% is a Trade %, then your $9.99 for 4 gallons would be equivalent to $1.16 for a 96-ounce jug of 6% bleach (6.17% Trade). If the 10% is weight % of sodium hypochlorite, then it's equivalent to $1.12 for a 96-ounce jug o 6% bleach.

The $4 for 2.5 gallons of 10.5% (assuming Trade %) is equivalent to 74 cents for a 96-ounce jug of 6% bleach and is an outstanding price.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

I wish we had a real pool store close, to do the refill and not have to waste all the 1 gallon jugs, but the closest pool store is about 30 miles away, the meijer is on my way home so the price don't seem to bad
    thanks for the info all
    28ft round AG 52" high 18,500 gals, Hayward ASL cartridge filter, Hayward single speed 1 1/2 hp pump, 2-4 x 20 fafco solar bear heaters, TF100 test, BBB

5. Back To Top    #5

I've been watching the 10% at the local Meijers and it doesn't seem to sell well at all. Whats the shelf life on this stuff? At my local store has been sitting around for at least a month and a half now is it now comparable to 6%?
    Vinyl IG, 19k gal, Intelliflo Variable Speed, Hayward S244T Sand Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

I just bought a pack of 4 1 gallon jugs of 6% for $5 at Sam's Club in Minnesota.
    24 foot round pool--12,000 Gallons--Above Ground--working on learning BBB system--DE filter--Live in MN
    Fishing is my hobby and I run a fishing forum http://www.nt-fishing.com

7. Back To Top    #7

Take a close look at the 4 pack from Sams as well. I bought two cases last night and both had some type of red/orange precipitant floating in them. Anyone know what this could be? My only guess was rust from the water source in the bottling plant.
    Vinyl IG, 19k gal, Intelliflo Variable Speed, Hayward S244T Sand Filter