Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: to shock or not to shock that is the question

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Fort Gratiot MI
    Posts
    66

    to shock or not to shock that is the question

    Well I opened my pool finally today, 80 degrees and I couldnt resist any longer even though we are going to be gone for the long weekend (I was going to wait till after the hoilday weekend)

    So Im opened and my levels are:

    FC 7.0
    CC 0.5
    TC 7.5
    PH 7.2
    TA 50
    Borates 30

    Havent checked the CYA yet thats tomorrow its too dark now to check it.

    Now the question is, it is a little cloudy from the winter, I use a mesh cover. Should I shock the pool or no since it has 7.0 FC (I did pour two gallns in it a few weeks ago just to keep it with chlorine)? I was thinking to just let the filter do it's job for the next day or two and see if it takes care of the cloudy in the water.

    What do you guys think? To shock or not to shock?

    Brian
    24' round Vinyl liner Doughboy 48" deep 52" sidewall
    1hp Doughboy pump w/timer
    Doughboy Silica II filter with Zeosand
    Raypak 180,00 btu heater
    BBB method
    Sundance Optima '97 450 gal. spa w/Delzone ozonator
    Beats driving to the lake, and I'm only a block away from the lake!!

  2. Back To Top    #2
    dmanb2b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    3,728

    Re: to shock or not to shock that is the question

    I would say...to be safe, do an overnight FC loss test. If the filter clears things up and FC remains steady, there is no need to shock.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

    Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Fort Gratiot MI
    Posts
    66

    Re: to shock or not to shock that is the question

    Thanks dmanb,

    I was thinking the same thing. Last year I opened and it was cloudy so I shocked it and it took a week for the TC to come down low enough to swim in it. I figured I'd try something different this year and see if I could just leave it and do an overnight FC test on it.

    There is a bit of silt in the bottom but I will vacuum that up tomorrow then backwash.

    My 6yr old is bugging me to go in the pool so I didnt want to have to wait to tell her yes.

    Thanks again
    Brian
    24' round Vinyl liner Doughboy 48" deep 52" sidewall
    1hp Doughboy pump w/timer
    Doughboy Silica II filter with Zeosand
    Raypak 180,00 btu heater
    BBB method
    Sundance Optima '97 450 gal. spa w/Delzone ozonator
    Beats driving to the lake, and I'm only a block away from the lake!!

  4. Back To Top    #4
    dmanb2b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    3,728

    Re: to shock or not to shock that is the question

    anytime...I opened on Friday...my residual was just about where you were with 0.5 cc's...lowered my TA on Friday....brought my salt and borates up yesterday...kids took a dip today (68 deg...brrr).

    Definitely get your CYA checked...then you will know your shock level. FC below shock level is safe to swim in.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

    Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •