Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: IC40 Cell flashing problem

1. Back To Top    #1

IC40 Cell flashing problem

Hi,

I need a help here.
    I got this pool with a house we bought in June 2009. I started to read TroublefreePool almost immediately and learned a lot. Thank you very much to you all. My pool is a real pleasure and I have not had too many problems with it.
    Well, almost.
    The Cell light on my Intellichlor IC40 started flashing. I found some scale in the cell and did an acid cleaning, it helped for 3 weeks, and then it started flashing again. The whole summer and fall I had to clean it every 2-3 weeks, and the scale was not even too bad.
    Our water is very hard, CH was about 800, and TA was 250, I thought that the scale problem was caused by those high levels and managed to lower TA to 80. It did not help at all. Then winter came, the water temperature went to 50s, and I turned the cell down.
    Two weeks ago I decided to prepare the pool for the season and replaced the water.
    Now CH is 250, TA is 180, PH is 7.8, so everything looks not bad, but I cannot make the cell work at all. There is no scale, it is absolutely clean, but the “Cell” light is flashing. When I turn it on it is doing the usual start-up test, then “High Salt” light flashes for about a minute, then the “Cell” light starts flashing. I tested the salt level using various tests and it is about 3500, which is perfect.
    I am lost now and need help.
    Thanks.
    Pool: Plaster 12000 g, SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: IC40 Cell flashing problem

Any idea how old the cell is? They do have a limited life, no matter how well they're treated.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun
    Any idea how old the cell is? They do have a limited life, no matter how well they're treated.
    I do not know how old it is. It is not v.2
    Thanks

4. Back To Top    #4

I have IC40 as SWG. I bought new in 2008 and have had similar problems in the past. Recently I have not had any problems with the IC40 ever since I have followed TFP's recommened water balance for SWGs.

My numbers

PH 7.6
    FC 6.0
    CH 280
    CYA 70
    TA 80
    Salt 3600

Worse case scenario is that the IC40 needs to be replaced but I would imagine the "Life" Led light would have been flashing.

Good luck.
    20K gal, 15X30, IG, Plaster, Pentair VF-3050 Intelliflo Pump, Pentair Clean&Clear Cartridge Filter, SWG

5. Back To Top    #5

You should do a visual inspection of the cell plates. Check to see if some of the plates are different lengths or if some of the corners on the plates look worn away. Either of those are signs of an aging cell.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    You should do a visual inspection of the cell plates. Check to see if some of the plates are different lengths or if some of the corners on the plates look worn away. Either of those are signs of an aging cell.
    Everything looks perfect.

It is v.1.8. How old can it be?

Thank you.