Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Here is what we have so far

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Here is what we have so far

    I am using the TF-100 testing kit

    FC: I added my water to 10ml mark, added my heaping scoop and swirled... it never turned pink???? Does this mean I have no FC?
    Couldnt finish the rest of the test 'cause it never changed color to be able to test for CC
    CC: See Above
    TC: See Above
    PH: 7.5
    TA: 90
    CYA: 25 ( just added some tonight, this is not a true reading )

    Added my stocking of CYA, should I adjust my TA?
    We don't have the filter running yet, but we do have the pump running.
    Lori
    21,200 Gallon AG Sand Filter

  2. Back To Top    #2

    In the Industry
    duraleigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sebring, Florida
    Posts
    28,414

    Re: Here is what we have so far

    Yes, you have 0 FC. It is important to get some into your pool. I don't know how your water looks so, for now, I would put in a small jug of clorox tomorrow AM (or ASAP) just to get some protection in your water.

    Disregard your TA of 90...it's just fine.

    Why isn't your filter working but your pump is?

    Post back and tell us how high you intend to get yor CYA and we'll help you get your FC up where it needs to be. Chlorine is consumable and will always need to be added to your pool. You do not want FC to be at 0 ever.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Re: Here is what we have so far

    Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Yes, you have 0 FC. It is important to get some into your pool. I don't know how your water looks so, for now, I would put in a small jug of clorox tomorrow AM (or ASAP) just to get some protection in your water.

    Disregard your TA of 90...it's just fine.

    Why isn't your filter working but your pump is?

    Post back and tell us how high you intend to get yor CYA and we'll help you get your FC up where it needs to be. Chlorine is consumable and will always need to be added to your pool. You do not want FC to be at 0 ever.

    Sorry for lack of information.
    Just started the pool, 3rd year... we are green and full of algae.
    Tested at first and PH was high... well over 8.2
    Got that lower, now we're ready to start with the bleach cya etc.... I didn't want to start the filter if I had to backwash, with us just adding the cya... didn't want to waste it.
    But I did want to get it circulating... I will start the pump tomorrow... along with bleach if thats what you recomend.

    I have a 21,200 gallon AG pool

    Does 40 sound like a good place to keep our CYA? Or should we go higher?

    Thanks for your help!
    Lori
    21,200 Gallon AG Sand Filter

  4. Back To Top    #4

    In the Industry
    duraleigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sebring, Florida
    Posts
    28,414

    Re: Here is what we have so far

    Hi, Lori,

    That's a much better picture of your pool. You need to shock your pool.

    I would not add any additional CYA until your shock process is complete. Please read "How to Shock your Pool" in Pool School. Also ABC's of pool water chemistry in pool school will shed some light for you.

    Shocking your pool is a process of very high chlorine levels, brushing and vacuuming and, importantly, filtering the dead algae and debris from your pool You will have to run your pump and filter 24/7 and you will have to put a ton of chlorine in your pool.

    Read those articles, ask questions, and stock up on bleach....everything else can be done alter
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

  5. Back To Top    #5

    Re: Here is what we have so far

    Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Hi, Lori,

    That's a much better picture of your pool. You need to shock your pool.

    I would not add any additional CYA until your shock process is complete. Please read "How to Shock your Pool" in Pool School. Also ABC's of pool water chemistry in pool school will shed some light for you.

    Shocking your pool is a process of very high chlorine levels, brushing and vacuuming and, importantly, filtering the dead algae and debris from your pool You will have to run your pump and filter 24/7 and you will have to put a ton of chlorine in your pool.

    Read those articles, ask questions, and stock up on bleach....everything else can be done alter

    So it is OK that I added the CYA tonight?

    Here are my plans for the morning....
    Starting the filter
    Dumping gobs of bleach... I have 17 gallons as of now, and some "shock" that we bought last year before we learned that it was a verb not a noun (TeeHee)
    Scrubbing and vaccuming
    Backwashing when needed
    Repeat

    Where should I get my shock levels to since I am not 100% on my CYA yet?
    Lori
    21,200 Gallon AG Sand Filter

  6. Back To Top    #6
    Richard320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)
    Posts
    15,422

    Re: Here is what we have so far

    Quote Originally Posted by LoriLeeMcD
    Where should I get my shock levels to since I am not 100% on my CYA yet?
    Just assume it's all dissolved. If you put in enough to get 40, use 40 for the calculations. Next week you can test CYA and see what you really have and use that.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

  7. Back To Top    #7

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Spring, TX
    Posts
    1,082

    Re: Here is what we have so far

    If it were me, I would avoid putting in the shock and just use the bleach to shock the pool. The shock may add other stuff that you may not need.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Re: Here is what we have so far

    This is at 11am Dumped in 4 bottles of Bleach with a reading of 0 FC


    This is at 1pm dumped in 3 more bottles with a reading of 5.5 FC 5.5 CC


    So we are getting somewhere ... shooting for 16 FC
    Lori
    21,200 Gallon AG Sand Filter

  9. Back To Top    #9

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Spring, TX
    Posts
    1,082

    Re: Here is what we have so far

    Huge difference. Nice work keep it up.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •