Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand preventing the flow of water!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Sand preventing the flow of water!!!

Well to make a long story short I bought a foreclosure with an in-ground pool that hasn't been used or cared for in 2 years. All equipment seems to work but I can't get any water to the pump. I reached into the skim pocket and I can feel sand at what I think is the opening to the pipe. I'm gonna drain the water about a foot this weekend so I can actually see ( the water is a pretty shade of black ). If sand is in the pipe does anyone have any ideas as to how I can get it out? Thanks in advance.
    Hayward sand filter & super pump, Pool is weird shape but rough figures are 23x10x4.5 for a volume of 7800 gallons. Fiberglass shell

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sand preventing the flow of water!!!

A shop vac should be able to get the sand out if it doesn't go too deep into the pipe. Another approach is to attach a garden hose to the other end of the pipe with a drain king (attachment that seals the pipe around the garden hose) and try to blow the sand out backwards.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the help Jason. Never thought about the drain king. Thanks.
    Hayward sand filter & super pump, Pool is weird shape but rough figures are 23x10x4.5 for a volume of 7800 gallons. Fiberglass shell

4. Back To Top    #4

Whew nothing was clogging the lines. System is up and operational. Now just waiting for the TF-100 to get here!!!!