Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do you need CH in an AGP?

1. Back To Top    #1

Do you need CH in an AGP?

I don't know why I'm second guessing myself all of a sudden. I had all this down last season but it's like I don't know if I'm ok now all of a sudden

Just did some tests... will be doing another FC early in the morning to make sure I have no drop.

FC = 8 (or 7.5... pink was gone but water still didn't look totally clear.. one more drop made it completely clear)
    CC = 0
    CYA = 50
    PH = 7.8 (yes I know it's a tiny bit high but waiting till tomorrow to see what FC does)
    TA = 60
    CH = not sure

After the 5 drops of R11, the water turned a blue/green. I dropped in R12 anyway and after 5 drops water turned clear again. Does that mean 0?

I don't have to worry about it with a vinyl liner on a AGP anyway though right?
    24' x 52" AGP = 13.5k gallons
    Dynamo 2.0 HP pump,Sand Dollar sand filter
    Polaris 65 vacuum (good when there are a ton of leaves on bottom), Pool Rover Jr. (LOVE it, but power box dead right now), AquaCritter (an excellent suction side cleaner)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Do you need CH in an AGP?

I don't have to worry about it with a vinyl liner on a AGP anyway though right?
    Right, CH is not important with a vinyl liner unless it is too high, then it could become a problem.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

One of the basic rules of testing is to continue adding drops till the color stops changing. The drop that fails to change the color any further doesn't count. So your FC level is 8. Your CH level might be 50, or another drop might have changed the color further, but it probably isn't much above 50.

The recommended CH level for a pool with a vinyl liner is between 50 and 300, so you should be just fine. The only reason to maintain a higher CH level is if you have relatively new equipment and your warranty coverages requires it.

Your PH is a little high, and by the time you lower the PH, your TA will probably be on the edge of getting a little low. You might want to raise the TA up to 70, no rush though.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Checked FC just a little after sun-rise this morning before any direct sunlight was on pool and it's identical as yesterday evening so no loss at all. I'll check TA and PH later today, was a bit nippy out this morning
    24' x 52" AGP = 13.5k gallons
    Dynamo 2.0 HP pump,Sand Dollar sand filter
    Polaris 65 vacuum (good when there are a ton of leaves on bottom), Pool Rover Jr. (LOVE it, but power box dead right now), AquaCritter (an excellent suction side cleaner)