opening green pool with BBB

melmommy said:
By the way, I think I am addicted to testing my water and looking at this website!! Ha! Is that normal??? :shock:

Yup totally normal :-D .
Can you post any pics of your pool and setup? Sounds like you are making progress...thats great! I'm a noob myself so I'm really no help. This place will get you going in the right direction for sure!

Brushed the pool really good (with limited visabilty in deep end) and added 3 jugs of bleach. Rain just started. I have 5 more jugs of bleach for later. Should I add more tonight? Really want to swim soon. Today was my last day of school and my children are ready to swim! Summer vacation has officially began!! :lol:

Since I am still waiting on my TF100 and I am using the 6-way from walmart, how will I know how much more to add? It only shows TC. Levels from .5 to 5 I am guessing that since it was 0 FC (pool store test) yesterday, I am not in danger of adding too much right now. I am so ready for that new test kit to come in!!

melmommy said:
By the way, I think I am addicted to testing my water and looking at this website!! Ha! Is that normal??? :shock:
What? What do you mean, "...is that normal?" Everybody does that..... right? :mrgreen: haha
Yep, you got the sparklypoolitis alright :wink: If you think you need a lab coat now, just wait 'til you get your TF100!

Good for you that you got your TA up , CYA and bleach added, too.

What method did you use to add the CYA?

Definitely test and add more bleach tonight :) and, as fpm mentioned, as often as hourly if you can.

Since I am still waiting on my TF100 and I am using the 6-way from walmart, how will I know how much more to add? It only shows TC. Levels from .5 to 5 I am guessing that since it was 0 FC (pool store test) yesterday, I am not in danger of adding too much right now. I am so ready for that new test kit to come in!!

Since you just put your CYA in, you can still use 10 FC for your shock level.

When the FC (okay, TC) drops to 5 or below, bump it back up to 10. Just try to keep FC at or or around 10 :wink:

You TF100 will be there soon.... :super:

melmommy said:

You can use the dilution method - use 1:1 ratio of pool water to distilled water and then multiply by 2 - that will read the CL up to 10... a 2:1 will measure up to 15 (multiply by 3). You do lose accuracy this way but it gets you in the ball park.

Just added 3 more jugs of bleach. Water still cloudy. I noticed a chlorine smell before I added the bleach. The TC from the walmart test read a 5. Hoping it is high enough to be at the right shock level. Maybe it will clear up a little tomorrow. :cry:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
melmommy said:
Just added 3 more jugs of bleach. Water still cloudy. I noticed a chlorine smell before I added the bleach. The TC from the walmart test read a 5. Hoping it is high enough to be at the right shock level. Maybe it will clear up a little tomorrow. :cry:
If your test reads 5, enter that in the "now" column in the Pool Calculator and "10" as the target.

Tested the chlorine with the walmart test, it was a 5. I know that is the TC not the FC, and still not sure if that matters. The water was definately a yellow 5. I had not added bleach since last night. Guess that is good that there is still chlorine there. Water is still cloudy. I brushed the sides again and checked skimmer. Wishing the TF100 would get here. I have 2 more jugs of bleach on hand. Wondering if I should go ahead and add them or wait till this evening. Not sure if I am done with shocking yet. Do I keep water at shock level until it is clear? Starting to get a little bummed. :(

Test kit still not here :cry: I have added 5 jugs of bleach throughout the day. Walmart test still showing around 5 (highest it shows). I have brushed 4 times today. Water still cloudy and has strong chlorine smell. I will add 3 more jugs of bleach before bed. I hope to see progress soon. Keep your fingers crossed! :-D

Just checked the water and there is no visible change. None! :!: Still smell the chlorine. Is it supposed to take this long?? I would feel better if there was any improvement. My kids are losing faith in me. Please let me know if there is anything else I should be doing?! I can't backwash since I added CYA a few days ago. I brush the pool several times a day. Check the skimmer basket. Use my cheapo test kit to get a TC reading, but I am never sure if I am getting the water to shock level. My family (extended) was planning on pool party this holiday weekend, but I may just have a bleach pouring party! If everyone brought 1 jug, I would have about 30 jugs of bleach! :roll: I appreciate everyone's replies and advice.

When you added your CYA on Tuesday, how did you add it? Did you pour it in the skimmer or use the sock method?

Either way, you need to assume the CYA is at or near 50 making your new shock level 20.

That chlorine smell is actually cc's, which means you need more chlorine.

Have you seen this from Taylor?
It has helped many of us learn how to read the CYA test:
http://www.taylortechnologies.com/Chemi ... ntentID=36

Hang in there. You'll get your kit soon and really begin to make progress. POP :)

btw, if your filter pressure indicates that you need to backwash, then that is what I would do. CYA can be replaced.

Thanks butterfly for the encouragement. I need it! Just put in 3 more jugs of bleach and brushed the liner. Am I wasting all this bleach since I am not sure if I am at shock level? I have 3 more to put in later. I don't even want to add up how many I have put in! :) Very scary!I checked the filter and I don't think I need to backwash. After we changed the sand, it read 10. If I understand right, it doesn't need backwashing until it is at least 8 higher than that number. It is reading 16. Checked the tracking # on the kit and it should be here tomorrow. Maybe there is hope for weekend swimming? We are all dying to get in! I guess we will clean the pool furniture today.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.