2023 pool season chlorine supply: should I buy now or wait until the summer?

It is on a large pool. Here's the maths for 25k gallons :

1 gallon 10% = 4ppm.

$5 jug = $1.25 per FC
$6 jug ($5.67 Walmart+ tax) = $1.50 per FC
$7 jug = $1.75
$8+ jug...... don't even.

An IC60 will make 9.6 FC per 24 hours or 4000 lifetime in 25k gallons.

At $3000 full PB install, that's $0.75 per FC, half that of cheaper than you'll likely find out the door $5 jugs.

Replacement cells at $1399 (today's price) would cost you *****$0.33**** per gallon. You'd make out on the first cell and clean UP on the future cells.

But.

BUT.

Not having to lug 1000 jugs of FC equivalent to what the IC60 will produce, is beyond priceless. Most would pay extra, forget about breaking even. 1000 gallons bought at Walmart today would cost $6710 after sales tax. (Used NY rate)

To recap:

Original cell, controller, install is a 2:1 savings. Replacement cells are darn near 5:1 savings. (Today)

*Pentair is spendy. While it's fairly accepted Circupool greatly overestimate their #s, if it's way low and only matches the IC60 output, it's a few hundred dollars cheaper and a better deal. If the #s do better than the IC60, it's all gravy in your pocket

It is on a large pool. Here's the maths for 25k gallons :

1 gallon 10% = 4ppm.

$5 jug = $1.25 per FC
$6 jug ($5.67 Walmart+ tax) = $1.50 per FC
$7 jug = $1.75
$8+ jug...... don't even.

An IC60 will make 9.6 FC per 24 hours or 4000 lifetime in 25k gallons.

At $3000 full PB install, that's $0.75 per FC, half that of cheaper than you'll likely find out the door $5 jugs.

Replacement cells at $1399 (today's price) would cost you *****$0.33**** per gallon. You'd make out on the first cell and clean UP on the future cells.

But.

BUT.

Not having to lug 1000 jugs of FC equivalent to what the IC60 will produce, is beyond priceless. Most would pay extra, forget about breaking even. 1000 gallons bought at Walmart today would cost $6710 after sales tax. (Used NY rate)

To recap:

Original cell, controller, install is a 2:1 savings. Replacement cells are darn near 5:1 savings. (Today)

*Pentair is spendy. While it's fairly accepted Circupool greatly overestimate their #s, if it's way low and only matches the IC60 output, it's a few hundred dollars cheaper and a better deal. If the #s do better than the IC60, it's all gravy in your pocket.
Leslies continues to drop prices on Cal-Hypo (power powder plus) - 25lbs on sale for $202 - down from $275 3 months ago - although still higher than last years price of $150 on sale)

regarding SWG - i did get a contrary opinion from a pool repair/pool builder i use for occasional repairs.
again this is their words just relaying the message and i take this with a grain of salt :cool:
- the SWG water is more corrosive on pool, deck, equipment.
- on their new inground pools they recommend chlorinators and only put in SWG if the pool owner insists.
- they say i won't save money - will need to lug heavy salt bags, have to add cyanuric and muriatic also and replace a cell every 3 to 5 years for $1000.

as far as Leslies - i did call them and spoke to a mgr that i have worked with before
- he recommends SWG but says i won't save money but will actually spend more.

• Haha
Reactions: YippeeSkippy
i did get a contrary opinion from a pool repair/pool builder i use for occasional repairs.
again this is their words just relaying the message and i take this with a grain of salt :cool:
Fair enough. :)

Ask him for his math. Use PoolMath to confirm it.

With a salt system you're paying for all your chlorine upfront.
I only have to add a bag or two of salt every other year.
My first cell lasted 9 years, and was oversized which helps.
My replacement cell was about $500.
While admittedly my pool is half your size, my costs yearly are never over $100-150 dollars for all chems and testing kit refills.
My pool season is twice as long as yours.
Leslie's wants you as a frequent customer. I don't go in to a pool store almost ever...maybe once in a couple years for a part?

Maddie :flower:

Leslies continues to drop prices on Cal-Hypo (power powder plus) - 25lbs on sale for $202 - down from $275 3 months ago - although still higher than last years price of $150 on sale)

regarding SWG - i did get a contrary opinion from a pool repair/pool builder i use for occasional repairs.
- the SWG water is more corrosive on pool, deck, equipment.
- on their new inground pools they recommend chlorinators and only put in SWG if the pool owner insists.
- they say i won't save money - will need to lug heavy salt bags, have to add cyanuric and muriatic also and replace a cell every 3 to 5 years for $1000.

as far as Leslies - i did call them and spoke to a mgr that i have worked with before
- he recommends SWG but says i won't save money but will actually spend more.

Your are correct to take that opinion with a grain of salt.

Our pool, installed in 2004, has used a SWCG from day 1. Overall, it has been cheaper, and FAR more convenient, using the SWCG than manually chlorinating. With today’s high chlorine prices, I could buy a complete new SWCG setup every 2-3 years.

In terms of any damage from the salt water, there has been none!

Personally, I would not have a pool without a SWCG. 😀👍

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
Following up on chlorine prices falling at Leslies
- cal-hypo - 25 lbs was $275 in April - reg price now is $225 - on sale for $190
- liquid chlorine - 4 gallon pack was $40 in May - reg price now is $33 - on sale for $29

price drops are rare but after all the price gouging its good to see

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.