2019 Pool Opening in VA

Effers

Bronze Supporter
Apr 27, 2012
Warrenton, VA
Finally got the pool opened (of sorts). Pool company left, still unsure of my abilities to do the opening from scratch. Maybe next year...

Anyways, pool was green, Pool Company threw a bunch of chemicals in. Finally cleared up two days ago and I have been vacuuming, brushing and backwashing. First bad news of the season is it appears the gasket on my Hayward pump is shot (leaking). Got one on order. Did my first chemical test and here are the numbers:

Water temp: 67
FC: 8.0
CC: 0
PH: 10 (Acid Demand 3)
TA: 80
CH: 220
CYA: 80

Not sure where to start. Do I target PH out of the gate or go straight to SLAM? I really want to make a concerted effort this year to keep my levels right. Wife is tired just being "alright" or "close"

Thanks.

Do I target PH out of the gate or go straight to SLAM?
Normally I'd say both - lower the pH to 7.2 then SLAM. However ...... your CYA. Any idea how it got so high already for a non-salt pool? (Unless I missed salt somewhere). Could it be all the stuff the pool company "dumped" in? Because we surely know they don't test accurately. Well, it's your choice. You have the option of lowering the pH and going right to the SLAM Process level based on a CYA of 80, or you can exchange a bit of water and let the fresh water lower the CYA a bit so you'll use less chlorine/bleach. A personal choice really. Take a peek at the FC/CYA Levels so you know what you're dealing with and go from there. Either way, that pH does need to come down. When you get ready, use the PoolMath tool and go in stages with muriatic acid so you don't over-shoot and go too low. Use a (from) 8.2 to (goal) 7.5 and let it mix for about 20-30 minutes with good water movement before testing and adjusting again. You'll get there. Let us know if you still have questions.

Thanks Texas. Addressing PH now. I will roll right in to SLAM tomorrow hopefully.

Those joker's at the pool company we're dumping all sorts of junk in the pool. Seems like I come in high every year but by mid summer usually sit between 40-50 CYA.

Silly question. With my CYA at it's current level I need to hit and FC of 30. Once I complete the SLAM process, does the FC level need to meet a me level for kids to swim? They are already pestering me.

With my CYA at it's current level I need to hit and FC of 30. Once I complete the SLAM process, does the FC level need to meet a me level for kids to swim? They are already pestering me.
Even with a high CYA and matching FC (SLAM) level, the water is safe - as long as you don't go over the SLAM FC level. Often times we tell everyone, "Grab a brush and hop-in!" You might smell the chlorine a little, or may chose not to wear your newest swimsuits in case they are sensitive items, but it won't hurt you. Once you pass all 3 SLAM criteria, the FC should drop rapidly as well.

Hello fellow Virginian! With the warm weather we've been having this week, I can only imagine the kids are going crazy! :) Since you're no longer green, your SLAM might not be too long. Just hang in there and keep an eye on the FC level to top up every now and then until you pass the 3 criteria like Pat mentioned. Keep brushing like you're doing and you'll be swimming soon enough!

Plan to head to Wally world to get the Pool Essentials Chlorinating Liquid to start the SLAM this evening. But I did stumble on to a new issue and apologize if it belongs in the pump/filter section.

I did all my brushing and backwashing last night after adding muriatic acid to lower the PH. Pressure was at 18-19psi. Checked the pool this morning and noticed it jumped to 32???? Again???? This is the 3rd day in a row that this has happened. The pool is clear this morning as well as most of yesterday. After backwashing I only add 80% of the required DE powder. The only outlier I have is the Hayward pump has a small leak (bad shaft gasket I think, repairing Friday or Saturday). Is this related to filtering of dead algae? Is this expected? Scratching my head on this one....

Is this related to filtering of dead algae? Is this expected?
Whenever our filters spike like that, it's usually because of 1 or 2 things: a potential restriction in the lines (unlikely) or algae (which we know you have). Once algae gets in the water, it will remain there in various states of activity & growth until completely eradicated. That's where our SLAM Process process comes into play. Once you do your next backwash, keep close tabs on the clean pressure so that you know for future reference when it increases by 25%. That's when you know it's time to do another backwash. As the SLAM Process progresses, you hope things will settle down, but for now you're smack-dab in the middle of an algae battle, so frequent testing, brushing, and monitoring the filter will be important.

finally did the right thing and became a Bronze donor today as well as subscribed to the TFP app (Android).
Outstanding! :goodjob: Thanks very much for being a supporter. I'm sure @Leebo will make sure everything is processed and your profile gets updated. Thanks again.

The SLAM is on!. Got home and brushed, vacuumed and backwashed. Levels are:
Water temp: 67
FC: 7.0
CC: 0
PH: 7.6
TA: 80
CH: 220
CYA: 70

Dumped in lots of chlorine and waited. FC now at 30. Plan to brush and vacuumed tonight and check FC.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ARRRGGGHHH.... Started my SLAM last night around 4pm EST, did all the right things. Rechecked FC/CC, sitting around 30/0. Checked again at 8pm EST, looking solidWent out this morning to check levels. Being that my CYA is high (70), target shock FC is 28. That translates in to adding a lot of drops of R-0871 FAS-DPD reagent.

The good news, OCLT passed (FC loss less that 1), water looks good, and filter PSI barely moved overnight. I wanted to re-test but I AM OUT OF R-0871. Now I am in panic mode. Sitting at work now lining up pool supply stores to call.

Is it common for these pool stores to sell reagents? If so, is there a risk of buying it from a different batch or something? Worst case, I have to wait a couple of days for it to ship.

You are not very likely to get FAS-DPD reagents in a local pool store. TFTestKits ships from NC so refills will not take long. If you add about 2ppm of chlorine daily until your refills come you'll probably be fine, especially if you passed OCLT.

Awesome, thank you.

My last question and I think I can close this out. SO my pool going in was looking pretty good. Wanted to do the SLAM to get a good start to the season. For a situation like that is a one day SLAM ok?

I always start off the season with a slightly elevated FC level.

I would suggest considering opening earlier next year and doing it yourself. There is no way I'd let some pool company dump a bunch of mystery chemicals in my pool.

Thanks again for the advice. Before and after pics. Just waiting on the FC to come down to normal levels. Hoping CYA will drop after all the rain that we will have this weekend. All other levels good. See the guy in the blue shirt? Sure he is nice but he won't be back (pool company).

Attachments

• 578866357.jpg
    578866357.jpg
    623.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20190510_191345.jpg
    IMG_20190510_191345.jpg
    610.8 KB · Views: 11
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.